HK A-20G release

Steve Eagle

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

If all Eduard gives you is wheels, my guess is that their wheels will fit the kit struts, regardless of whether that’s right or wrong.

That's a very good point, on all accounts.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posting this from my build thread in hopes seeking a wider audience.  

The cowlings are going to be an issue.  The cowlings on all the subject a/c that I'm hoping to build all have the exhaust ports in the cowl itself and all cowl flaps are flat.  The kit has the exhaust stacks channeled out the lower rear with the cowl flaps shaped to accommodate; the sides of the cowls are flat with no exhaust ports.  Near as I can tell, every A-20G (which my subject aircraft all are) ran the same Wright R-2600-23 1600hp engine.  So, what would account for the change in cowl configuration?

The cowl in the subject photos. This is an A-20G-45-DO.  None of the historical photos in Pacific Profiles that feature a cowl show this arrangement.  

hUmYIbW.jpg

Cowls and flaps represented by the kit.  This is from the airworthy A-20 out of Texas.  Wikipedia states its USAAF s/n is 43-21709 and Pacific wrecks claims that it is an A-20J-15-DO

fJrCIxI.png

4 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Cross posting this from my build thread in hopes seeking a wider audience.  

The cowlings are going to be an issue.  The cowlings on all the subject a/c that I'm hoping to build all have the exhaust ports in the cowl itself and all cowl flaps are flat.  The kit has the exhaust stacks channeled out the lower rear with the cowl flaps shaped to accommodate; the sides of the cowls are flat with no exhaust ports.  Near as I can tell, every A-20G (which my subject aircraft all are) ran the same Wright R-2600-23 1600hp engine.  So, what would account for the change in cowl configuration?

The cowl in the subject photos. This is an A-20G-45-DO.  None of the historical photos in Pacific Profiles that feature a cowl show this arrangement.  

hUmYIbW.jpg

Cowls and flaps represented by the kit.  This is from the airworthy A-20 out of Texas.  Wikipedia states its USAAF s/n is 43-21709 and Pacific wrecks claims that it is an A-20J-15-DO

fJrCIxI.png

Following your build , great work! Now what can we do about this cowling dilemma ? Do you think the aftermarket will step up? Good catch by the way!

Well after digging into this , it would seem that the lower block numbers have the kit's cowling , and the later blocks have the individual stack outlets. that carried over to H productions as they all have it. Anybody else with more info ,I'm all ears and eyes , happy to be proven wrong [ been known to happen from time to time]. I believe Pacific Wrecks is incorrect.

1 minute ago, scvrobeson said:

Are they the same cowlings that the B-25 used? That could be a way to fix things

Matt 

I was looking at that and it appears that they are not the same, I was thinking the same thing you were. The more I'm looking at this , the more I'm thinking the cowling will be ok.

I mean, the cowling is is fine and I'm sure it's correct for *some* production blocks, but what I'm not sure it yet is which blocks have which cowls and why.  I can find some profile somewhere that will have the right cowls, though I do hope aftermarket steps up and does a nice 3D printed cowl with the stack outlets.

1 hour ago, ChuckD said:

I mean, the cowling is is fine and I'm sure it's correct for *some* production blocks, but what I'm not sure it yet is which blocks have which cowls and why.  I can find some profile somewhere that will have the right cowls, though I do hope aftermarket steps up and does a nice 3D printed cowl with the stack outlets.

I think I found your answer. In Aircorps Library site, erection and maintenance manual for A-20G/J, section on engine erection, they have a paragraph:

" ENGINE EXHAUST SYSTEM.- In airplanes A-20G-1-D0 to 30-D0 and A-20J-1-D0 to 5-D0, the exhaust outlets for each engine are of the individual ejector type. In airplanes A-20G-35-D0 to 45-D0, A-20J-10-D0, to 20-D0, and A-20H and K-1-D0 to 10-D0, the upper five exhaust outlets discharge into a manifold leading to outlets below the wing. A muff is installed around the manifold to provide preheated air for the carburetor. The nine lower exhaust outlets lead directly out through individual outlets in the antidrag ring."

The antidrag ring is basically the forward half of the cowl.

Is there a source of build numbers relating to the production blocks?

So, depending on what block you're building ,is going to depend on which cowling you're going to use . I was suspecting as much still want to see the production breakdown. So also if someone could 3D print some cowlings , then that would open things up to more block numbers and even make an H [though there weren't many of those made], I'm building mine with the kit cowlings, but that's me.

Yes, if we had a set of late cowls, that would open things up, although we would still need to modify the exhausts, too, and maybe some other details. Probably not too hard as I think you would only see the exhaust tips.

14 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yes, if we had a set of late cowls, that would open things up, although we would still need to modify the exhausts, too, and maybe some other details. Probably not too hard as I think you would only see the exhaust tips.

Right? I'm still a little confused [ nothing new for me], my sources seem to point to the early block numbers being like the kit's , and the later block numbers having the individual exhaust outlets . I'm mero inclined to go with what the erection manuals say however.