F4U-2 Corsair Conversion

denders

I also built the F4U-2N out of a Tamiya kit and AMS conversion. With the Montex mask decal set.   I had the T Antennas 3-D printed but they were a little flat on one side. Just use crazy glue to Stiffen it and give it a Complete cylindrical shape. 
Don’t forget to remove the Forward antenna post. There’s also a little vent Scoop on the engine cowling. Just below the antenna, some aircraft had bomb racks on the wings Some even had the T antenna Under the wing in the curve, going to the fuselage by the bomb window.  

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

2 hours ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

The Lonestar kit included the RadarScope, the radar pod, the vent, and the six flash suppressing exhaust tubs!   

3 hours ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

I also built the F4U-2N out of a Tamiya kit and AMS conversion. With the Montex mask decal set.   I had the T Antennas 3-D printed but they were a little flat on one side. Just use crazy glue to Stiffen it and give it a Complete cylindrical shape. 
Don’t forget to remove the Forward antenna post. There’s also a little vent Scoop on the engine cowling. Just below the antenna, some aircraft had bomb racks on the wings Some even had the T antenna Under the wing in the curve, going to the fuselage by the bomb window.  

Thanks for the info! I am planning to write some detailed instructions that will explain all of that, along with some reference photos, although I may have to send them to customers electronically, or they would likely take up a few sheets of paper. We'll see after I get them written.

I have the antennae modeled, just need to try printing them this evening when I get home from work.

Tim

Capture.jpg

Everything I have read indicates the F4U-2 used the AN/APS-4 radar. I was able to find these photos of an actual AN/APS-4 radar scope at the NASM.

Control box (which I believe was mounted on the cockpit wall just to the right of the IP):

NASM-A19660184000cp01.jpg

And the scope itself:

NASM-APS-4-scope.jpg

The side with the red stenciling is (I believe) the top, and the scope diameter is about 4 inches.

Here is an AN/APS-6 mounted in a Hellcat (the only difference being the knob on the lower left of the scope):

grummanf6f-hellcat-APS-6.jpg

4 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Everything I have read indicates the F4U-2 used the AN/APS-4 radar. I was able to find these photos of an actual AN/APS-4 radar scope at the NASM.

Control box (which I believe was mounted on the cockpit wall just to the right of the IP):

NASM-A19660184000cp01.jpg

And the scope itself:

NASM-APS-4-scope.jpg

The side with the red stenciling is (I believe) the top, and the scope diameter is about 4 inches.

Here is an AN/APS-6 mounted in a Hellcat (the only difference being the knob on the lower left of the scope):

grummanf6f-hellcat-APS-6.jpg

You know ,that's probably the best we're going to get , I think you should use it as an example, but it's your project, your call. I wouldn't have any problems using it but that's me we're talking about. Just leave the knob off LOL!

13 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Aircorps Library has info on where the radar equipment is placed in the F4u-4N; do you think it would be similar to where it was in the F4u-2?

I'll take a look at it.

Well, My Trumpy -4 arrived yesterday , so now we'll see how it goes. I KNOW that there's a lot of work going into this, it's a big project. It isn't just a Corsair , well it is , but clearly a different beast from the more "common" Corsairs that most people are familiar with[ not those of us on this forum, we're a few steps ahead of most ] I'll be standing by.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, BiggTim said:

Thanks for the info! I am planning to write some detailed instructions that will explain all of that, along with some reference photos, although I may have to send them to customers electronically, or they would likely take up a few sheets of paper. We'll see after I get them written.

I have the antennae modeled, just need to try printing them this evening when I get home from work.

Tim

Capture.jpg

That looks beautiful, Tim!

I've been away from this action of Corsair night fighters for many years. However, it's nice to see that the interest remains strong in this esoteric variant.

Having worked with the OWL photo etched RadAlt antennae, they should have more of a 3-d look to them. I also bent mine accidentally during installation, so if 3D printed in resin, they should be done in something pretty resilient, like the stuff Roy Sutherland is doing this EE Lightning landing gear struts in.

BTW the F4U-5 nose ring looks fantastic. Is this intended for the Trumpeter or Tamiya kit (which would be a heck of a conversion...)

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

On 6/12/2023 at 7:18 AM, BiggTim said:

The AMS pod was for the Tamiya kit, but I don't think it included anything else that I have found so far. The pod is sitting on my bench right now for some re-mastering, and I hope to put it back out there soon. I plan to include the flame dampers, longer tail wheel, and the little "T" antennae on the bottom. The hard part is the bump on the canopy. Maybe vac-form that?

I decided to re-do it a bit because some new references have come to light since Harold first made it that add some clarity to the subject. I even found a very similar radar scope for sale on ebay and got a bunch of good pics from that! If I could afford 180 bucks (the offer he made me), I'd buy it.

Tim

Tim, are you referring to the armor plating affixed to the upper rear of the canopy? it's in the kit....

1 hour ago, David Hansen said:

Tim, are you referring to the armor plating affixed to the upper rear of the canopy? it's in the kit....

Yes, which I found out was in the kit after I bought it! So problem solved!

Having worked with the OWL photoetched RadAlt antennae, they should have more of a 3-d look to them. I also bent mine accidentally during installation, so if 3D printed in resin, they should be done in something pretty resilient, like the stuff Roy Sutherland is doing this Lightnin landing gear struts in.

BTW the F4U-5 nose ring looks fantastic. Is this intended for the Trumpeter or Tamiya kit (which would be a heck of a conversion...)

-d-

When I upgrade my printer in a few months, I'm planning to try and print them again in an ABS-like resin that will be less brittle than the standard one. Roy is probably using something like that. Until then, I'll have to cast them, which is a huge pain, let me tell you! It's for the Trumpeter F4U-4 kit, and it's proving to be more work than I first expected, but it's coming along well. I'd love to do one for the Tamiya kit, but like you said....

That looks beautiful, Tim!

Thanks!

Edited by BiggTim