Decals for the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito

gaddied

Incidentally, the 80th anniversary of Operation Jericho is in 12 months. Also, the Kiwis of 487 Sqn are the guys who successfully precision bombed the Aarhus Gestapo HQ and later the Copenhagen Gestapo HQ. In both cases they managed to avoid damaging surrounding buildings.

While I am no expert on RAF missions targeting the Gestapo & the SS, and this is just my 2-penny bit with no offense intended toward your post, please note that while the Aarhus mission may have yielded low collateral damage to civilians, Operations Jericho and Carthage were markedly different.  Also, if you are specifically referring to Operation Carthage targeting the Gestapo HQ at the Shellhouse in Copenhagen (1945), the destruction wrought at the neighboring girls' school is something that is still well remembered by those old enough to recount the mission to their descendants. Hence, it was NOT one of the RAF's more glorified undertakings yielding low amount of battle damage, where "they managed to avoid damaging surrounding buildings.". The cost to civilians was enormous during both Operations Jericho (an operation which was arguably unnecessary if French accounts are to be believed) and Carthage, as evidenced by post mission reports filed by SOE and French and Danish civilian authorities, respectively.

22 hours ago, ctayfor said:

Incidentally, the 80th anniversary of Operation Jericho is in 12 months. Also, the Kiwis of 487 Sqn are the guys who successfully precision bombed the Aarhus Gestapo HQ and later the Copenhagen Gestapo HQ. In both cases they managed to avoid damaging surrounding buildings.

Following up on Wurgermeister64's comment, you might want to reconsider.

This is not to disparage the courage and skill of the Mosquito crews in any way, and highlights the horrible accidents that sometimes occur in wartime. The attack on the Shellhus in Copenhagen was particularly tragic as 86 schoolchildren and 18 staff members at the Jeanne D'Arc School were killed. One of the Mosquitoes in the first wave hit a lamppost (!) and crashed into the school which started a fire about a mile away. Some of the subsequent waves bombed the burning ruins of the school.

There is a Danish film called "The Bombardment" ( the English title ) which is currently showing on Netflix in North America which covers the raid. 

Operation Carthage

Aarhus Raid

The RAF were understandably horrified by the accidental bombing. I remember reading in Johnny Johnson's book "Wing Leader" that the RAF held a large airshow in Denmark after the war, and the proceeds went to the families of the survivors of the Copenhagen raid. 

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2023 at 10:30 AM, R Palimaka said:

Following up on Wurgermeister64's comment, you might want to reconsider.

This is not to disparage the courage and skill of the Mosquito crews in any way, and highlights the horrible accidents that sometimes occur in wartime. The attack on the Shellhus in Copenhagen was particularly tragic as 86 schoolchildren and 18 staff members at the Jeanne D'Arc School were killed. One of the Mosquitoes in the first wave hit a lamppost (!) and crashed into the school which started a fire about a mile away. Some of the subsequent waves bombed the burning ruins of the school.

There is a Danish film called "The Bombardment" ( the English title ) which is currently showing on Netflix in North America which covers the raid. 

Operation Carthage

Aarhus Raid

The RAF were understandably horrified by the accidental bombing. I remember reading in Johnny Johnson's book "Wing Leader" that the RAF held a large airshow in Denmark after the war, and the proceeds went to the families of the survivors of the Copenhagen raid. 

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Richard

You are quite right. Now that you brought it up, I read about that several decades ago and I apologise for the misrepresentation. I can only plead advancing age and incipient Alzheimers to have forgotten such a tragedy.

Edited by ctayfor