Bf109G-6 (and later) MG 131 charging, pneumatic or electric?

Hi all,

Google was not my friend for this question and neither were any of my references I'm afraid.  I'm trying to figure out if I need to keep or remove the charging port on the right side of the fuselage for my 109G-10 (Erla) not equipped with a Mk108  autocannon.  Anybody got the answer (casting fishing line...)?

Thanks!

4FCyLaE.jpg

REFERENCE:

Nohara, S. (1992). Aero detail 5, messerschmitt bf109G, Dai Nippon Kaiga Ltd, Tokyo. (p. 39)

Edited by Juggernut

The MG 17 and MK 108 used pneumatic charging, the MG 131 and MG 151 were electric. For the Bf 109 G this means:

- G-1 through G-4: all equipped with pneumatic MG 17 guns and electric MG 151, hence the compressed air access hatch on the right rear fuselage, for the MG 17.

- G-5 through G-10: Erla and Mtt-built machines equipped with electric MG 131 and electric MG 151, so no hatch (also G-6 built by Györ); WNF/Diana built G-6/U4, G-14/U4 and G-10/U4 equipped with electric MG 131 and pneumatic MK 108, hence the compressed air access hatch on the right rear fuselage, for the MK 108 (also G-14/U4 built by Köb)

On 11/12/2022 at 1:20 AM, MikeMaben said:

OK, I missed the Erla part. This G-10/U4 is from WNF ,

xdrCrKi.jpg

That's a great picture.  Don't believe I've seen that before.  Any other info on this aircraft and/or color profiles out there?   Note the missing LG covers.   This was actually somewhat common at end of war (assuming the fields were muddy from spring rain?).    Note the swastika overpainted.    

9 minutes ago, John1 said:

That's a great picture.  Don't believe I've seen that before.  Any other info on this aircraft and/or color profiles out there?   Note the missing LG covers.   This was actually somewhat common at end of war (assuming the fields were muddy from spring rain?).    Note the swastika overpainted.    

This is a WNF-built G-10/U4 (W.Nr. 610 783 or 610 793) of II./JG 52, photographed at Neubiburg after its surrender at the end of the war. Considering it came from the Wiener-Neustadt plant, it would have had a camouflage pattern of RLM 75 / 81 (version 2 - dark green) uppers, and 76 lower. The machine has the Luftflotte 4 yellow nose band behind the spinner. The photographs suggest the rudder was overpainted in yellow too, except for a rectangular patch around the W.Nr. From the photos, it's not clear if it also had the yellow V under the left wing, but considering the other tactical Luftflotte 4 markings present, I'd say it probably did. Wing roots were painted black to hide exhaust staining.