BF109G-14 AS Question

Good morning,

I have a question for our BF 109experts. I’m building the Hasegawa BF 109G-14 AS. I noticed that there are wider wheels and the larger upper wing bumps. I read that some later AS models had the wider wheels. Did they also have the larger wing bulges? The model comes with the wider wheels and larger wing bumps. I appreciate and guidance on this subject.

Thanks,

Jim

I'm nowhere near an expert but based on what I've read says that IF a given 109G-14/AS were equipped with the larger main wheels (660 x 190) then it most definitely would have the larger wing bulges.  The larger wheels wouldn't fit into the wells that were not so enlarged.  I purposely capitalized the "IF" in my previous sentence because in one of my sources it only alludes to the possibility that larger main wheels/tires could have been installed on a very small number of 109G-14/AS but there is no photographic evidence of it (Wolowski, p.37).  Another of my sources doesn't even mention (that I'm able to locate) the larger main wheels/tires until the 109G-10 (Mermet, p. 129).  I wouldn't use the larger main wheels/tires and bulges unless you can definitively determine your subject is a Bf109G-14/AS and not a Bf109G-10.

REFERENCES:

Wolowski, K.(2010), Bf109 late versions, camouflage and markings, Mushroom Model Publications, Poland. (p.37)

Mermet, J.-C. and Ehrengardt, C.J. (2016), Messerschmitt bf109, Caraktere Publishing, France. (p.129)

I'm building a Bf109G-10 right now.  I found the Revell kit for a VERY good price at a recent show so I scooped it up, brought it home, ordered some aftermarket for it and I'm working the cockpit right now.  Mine will be somewhat different to the Hasegawa G-10 in that the Revell kit is an Erla built machine whereas I think the Hasegawa kit is more closely aligned with an MTT built machine...  That though, is just a guess on my part; I don't have the Hasegawa kit to look at.

With respect to only the 109G-10; there were three “entities” that built the Bf109G-10; one was Messerschmitt AG in Regensburg (MTT), Erla (Leipzig), and Weiner Neustadt Flugzeugwerke GmbH (WNF).  WNF was joined by Diana in December of 1944. (Wolowski, p. 7).

These manufacturers had some unique characteristics of the aircraft they produced and many photographs of G-10’s can be identified by these characteristics, particularly in the Erla built airframes.  There were also very specific blocks of werke numbers assigned to each firm that can be used to positively identify which firm built which aircraft provided the week number is known.  There’s more to the story here but I’ve given you the 50,000 foot level view.  

If you’re curious about airframes or werke numbers, just ask and I or someone with much more knowledge than I possess will provide an answer.  LOL, I just got the two books a few weeks ago…they’re full of great information.

REFERENCES:

same as in the above post.

Edited by Juggernut

On 11/2/2022 at 1:42 AM, Juggernut said:

With respect to only the 109G-10; there were three “entities” that built the Bf109G-10; one was Messerschmitt AG in Regensburg (MTT), Erla (Leipzig), and Weiner Neustadt Flugzeugwerke GmbH (WNF).  WNF was joined by Diana in December of 1944. (Wolowski, p. 7).

These manufacturers had some unique characteristics of the aircraft they produced and many photographs of G-10’s can be identified by these characteristics, particularly in the Erla built airframes.  There were also very specific blocks of werke numbers assigned to each firm that can be used to positively identify which firm built which aircraft provided the week number is known.  There’s more to the story here but I’ve given you the 50,000 foot level view.  

If you’re curious about airframes or werke numbers, just ask and I or someone with much more knowledge than I possess will provide an answer.  LOL, I just got the two books a few weeks ago…they’re full of great information.

REFERENCES:

same as in the above post.

I know you are in US but where did you buy the J-C Mermet book?