Sweetwater Jug: Hasegawa P-47D-40

Madmax

On 2/17/2023 at 7:13 PM, scvrobeson said:

Great work on the paint and weathering!  The extra bits of definition really add to it, and the use of metallic pigments is a really good idea to subtelly liven up a NMF finish.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!

On 2/18/2023 at 5:58 AM, Uncarina said:

More spectacular work Sean! I’m adding the metallic effects to my notes. And yes, that instrument panel is a great addition.

Cheers,  Tom

I'm keen to see what results you get when you start experimenting with the metal finishes Tom.

23 hours ago, Woody V said:

Of all the amazing things you've done in this build, one thing stands out above all else - how meticulously everything is executed! I can not recall ever seeing a cleaner build than this. 

That's very kind of you Woody. It's probably just an indication of some really deep-seated OCD! :blink:

19 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Amazing, I've just read this from start to finish and the level of detail is fantastic, what us mere mortals should aspire too.

Cheers

Denns

Thanks for going to the effort of reading the whole thing Dennis. It prompted me to do the same and uncovered, embarrassingly, that I repeat myself and didn't explain an aspect of masking over Alclad terribly well. Let me see if I can correct that...

Because of terrible previous results with Alclad and masking tape or vinyl masks, you may recall that I sprayed the 'Stars and Bars' onto the AS-12 undercoat and then masked them closed BEFORE spraying Alclad. In my effort to touch up around the insignia, I rushed some masking and started 'lifting' the Alclad where I masked onto the shiny stuff. For those of you familiar with the product, this 'lifting' is not like regular paint that pulls off whole chunks, but rather a case of taking the shine off where the mask was. Then I left everything alone, to dry properly.

After the paint curing, and me calming down, I decided to try something different: I started gently buffing the Alclad with their own product - Micromesh polishing cloth (8000 grade). I even started experimenting with wet polishing to cut back some areas, although it seems to react best to finishing with a dry polishing cloth. This appeared to toughen the finish (less sensitive to fingerprints for one), which emboldened me to mask and spray the unit code straight onto the Alclad. I was careful to 'untack' the masks by sticking them on my forehead (greasy) and dipping them in soapy water to slide them into position and they rewarded me by not lifting the shine off. This in turn prompted the experiment with micro sol/set and the placing of wet transfer decals on raw Alclad too. Smearing shiny pigment on top of all of this was, I feel, a most natural next step caused by sheer overconfidence. It's been great fun!