Kits you thought you messed up/completely ruined -- but turned out great

Sparzanza

I’ve been working on a 1/32 scale Short Sunderland (Tigger/ID vac-form) for a couple of years. Those familiar with these types of kit will know that the basic shell is all you get - therefore the interior has to be made completely from scratch. 

I had got to the point where I’d spent many hours detailing the inside making the cockpit, nose and centre sections and had them installed in the fuselage. It had all been painted and I was very close to closing the fuselage up, which was to be a milestone moment of the project. 

I was working on the model in the kitchen on the table one evening when the urge for a cuppa meant I stood up and moved away from the table. Unbeknown to me, one of the fuselage halves had got caught on my jumper, and the next thing I knew was the whole lot crashing on to the solid tile floor. Typically, it was the half that the interior had been glued to, and the whole lot just disintegrated as it hit the deck. Hours of scratch work became a muddle of smashed parts on the floor…

I resisted the urge to stamp on the whole lot in a fit of rage and just picked up the parts and put them in a bin liner and dumped it straight in the attic. I was too cross/upset to contemplate doing any more work on the model at that time, and just wanted it out of the way. 

Fast forward a few months and I retrieved it from the loft and was ready to face the repair job. A few evenings were spent rebuilding and repairing the damage, and I actually made some improvements as I worked on it. Thankfully, all went well and the interior was restored to its former glory. 

I’m now in the final stages of the model and glad I repaired it rather than binned it - it was certainly a set back but it’s grown into an impressive model (in my humble opinion of course!)

Tom

The jury is out for me, but I have MAJORLY screwed up my P 47 WIP multiple times.  I did the paint dribble all over camo, I did the super thick orange peel clear, I did the crumbling clear coat after that, I did the brush full of Mr Surfacer over finished camo and painted markings, wiping out the entire left side of the fuselage.

This first LSP has taught me very little is really un fixable, as long as you don't move forward until you can't get a better result. 

Now, it's NOT finished yet, so there is no telling how it's going to turn out, but fingers crossed.  

Edited by Citadelgrad