Need custom decals including artwork setup - looking for source

Smithers66

Hi all-

Building a 1/32 Tamiya Phantom as my first ever consignment for an ex-Marine pilot of the aircraft.

His squadron markings are not available that I have been able to find ready made

Looking for not only the decals, but assistance laying out the sizes, shapes needed.

How do I go about this?

Thank you!

1st - Pictures of the aircraft are required.

Custom masks might be a better option since "custom" decals are by-and-large ALPS printed and are subject to the resolution of the printer (mine doesn't work very well for colors other than the primary colors).  Also, if you can find them in 1/48, you can blow them up 150% and you'll have 1/32 scale art to work from.

There may be some other resources you can tap for modex numbers, serial numbers, etc.  I am not aware of any generic set of squadron codes though.

Edited by Juggernut

What he said.........

All but save the multi-colored/layered 3D type artwork would you need decals. You could save quite a bit going with masks for most things and save the decals for stencils and smaller things that masks just don't work for. 

Just now, Dave Roof said:

First things first,

You're not building it for an ex-Marine.......you're building it for a Marine. 

What squadron and do you have photos? I may be able to help.

Thank you Dave, and thank you for the reminder- still a Marine! His squadron was VMFA112. I have an image of the markings but cant seem to put my fingers on it right now, might be on my home computer. I appreciate your help, the recipient suggested I just use the stock decals but I feel like that is not the right thing to do! Most of what is needed will come from the stock decals, just need the proper markings for the squad.

Thank you!

Dave