Takom 1:16 Panzer IB

LSP_K2

I have to say that I've just not been impressed with Takom's molding and engineering.  I've done several of their armor kits and they have all had extensive ejector pin marks and prominent seams everywhere.  I've come to expect better from modern molding techniques, so Takom has been a bit of a disappointment over the years.  

On 6/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, LSP_K2 said:

And some more, just for luck.

s3o4cg.jpg

These are the swine of the kit. The injection posts on the bottom of the fenders can be snipped a smoothed with a Dremel.  It took up little time. The wheels need multiple blobs of filler. My finger smooshed into at least one on each wheel.  

5 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

These are the swine of the kit. The injection posts on the bottom of the fenders can be snipped a smoothed with a Dremel.  It took up little time. The wheels need multiple blobs of filler. My finger smooshed into at least one on each wheel.  

The liquid putty, as a rule, never needs more than one application, thank goodness.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:07 AM, ChuckD said:

I have to say that I've just not been impressed with Takom's molding and engineering.  I've done several of their armor kits and they have all had extensive ejector pin marks and prominent seams everywhere.  I've come to expect better from modern molding techniques, so Takom has been a bit of a disappointment over the years.  

My biggest problem with Takom at the moment, is absolutely zero help in the form of customer service.

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

More primer then some battle field mud. 

I've seriously considered that, but the chassis will be basically pretty clean, so mud, to hide the pin marks, would look sort of odd.

While far from perfect, this is a dramatic improvement over what I started with (still needs some more work though, but I am getting there). For those that may be curious, there are 34 ejector pin marks on this piece alone. Combined with the 16 from the four corner pieces, that makes a nice even 50! The reason for concentrating so much on this one area of the kit, is that it absolutely has to be done before attaching to the lower hull, and the upper hull sections cannot be attached until this is, then 90% of my battle will be over with.

JiNnBn.jpg

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Much nicer! I think you are at the point where some pigment work will cover up the pin mark remnants. 

True enough, Ray. I'm somewhat obsessed with making sure the judges don't have any major problems with my work. We have some excellent armor modelers here, and I want to do all I can to be as competitive as possible.