1/32 Phantom Stenciling?

Anthony in NZ

Hi all

As many of you are aware I am in the throws of converting a Tamiya F-4J into an RAF FG.1 (with some help of a Wild Hare Conversion).

I know I am a wee way off painting and decaling, but I kinda need to think ahead a little as I have pretty much finished all the airframe mods.  I am doing a 43 Squadron bird, XV571 (or I am also having thoughts of XV582 (Black Mike before she was Black) with the 'RR' and white circle with special crossing/speed marking, which I need to look into more.

Anyway, these Grey 43 Sqn birds were often covered in white stenciling depending on which scheme I do.  I have looked and cannot find any 1/32 Phantom white stenciling sheets anywhere??  I am sure someone must do some but I am having no luck finding any.  I understand they are likely several differences between the US and Brit stencils, but it's better than nothing. Plus XV582 before she got painted black was in a std 'Line' scheme looking grubby and paint patched so likely many were sprayed over anyway.  The WH conversion set does not include any stenciling at all.

Anyone help?  Or are there just none produced? 

Cheers

Anthony

3 minutes ago, GDW said:

These are dry transfers, which I like for stencils, no carrier film. See what you think...

https://lots-of-models.com/products/verlinden-productions-1-32-1-48-aircraft-stenciling-no-1-white-decal-sheet-166

Aaaah I had forgotten about those, I think I even have the remains of one somewhere....

Thanks, great start!

2 hours ago, allthumbs said:

If you can find them…

Icarus F/RF-4E White Stencils

Edited for availability 

Hmmm, they look like the ones to get...but I cant find them anywhere!  I'll just have to keep searching, I am sure some will pop up on ebay or somewhere, hopefully.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it

On 6/13/2021 at 6:50 PM, thierry laurent said:

Thanks Thierry, they look nice.  Think I might get a set of those, thank you!

3 hours ago, GDW said:

Another possibility to consider Anthony, a photoetch mask set by Eduard:

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/masks/aircraft/1-32/f-4-etch-stencil-data-mask-etch-1-32.html

Thanks very much, never spotted them before.  These are a really good idea as some airframes have practically no stenciling and others are covered.  Of course the 2 I am toying with are both different, one covered and the other not LOL

Cheers guys I think that should sort me!  

On 6/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Anthony, what's the time period of the aircraft you're doing?  Knowing that, I can probably point you in the direction of correct stencils.  There was a lot of variation over time. I've just been looking at McAir factory camouflaged FG.1s in RN colo(u)rs, and they're remarkably consistent with F-4Ds, Js, and Es of the same general period in the USAF and USN.

Thanks Jen, mid to late 80's up to about 1990-91, any help much appreciated!

21 hours ago, DonH said:

Have a look at HobbyDecal.com

They have 1/32 white panel numbers for F-4. Couldn't find other stencils but I know they did 1/48 versions of stencils because I have a set.

Thanks Don, will look into it mate, cheers!