C-130J Hercules float plane?

14 hours ago, europapete said:

You would be better off making it with a flyingboat hull. Aka, Bv222 Viking. Regards, Pete in RI

True. I think the floats would greatly reduce range and payload of the C-130. A flying boat would be way more efficient.

Interesting idea though. Would be kind of a cool " what if" build.

Well guys, I hate to break it to you but you’d be surprised at actually how effective such a conversion would actually be... floats offer very little parasitic drag, and if properly shaped they create lift both hydrodynamically and aerodynamically... that can far exceed the actual dry weight of the floats themselves... which increases performance and load carrying capability. I have spent over two decades on/off flying both CAP and Whipline float equipped DHC-6 Twin Otter float planes... and there is very, very little performance penalty when the aircraft are mounted on floats. I would even be willing to bet that a float conversion would weigh even less than the actual landing gear of a modern Herc. Not to mention the feasibility of using a float equipped Herc to be employed as a scooper for aerial firefighting operations with scoops mounted behind the steps and plumbing to a fuselage mounted hopper... 

Quite a good idea actually,  if the engineering is sound - why not build it?

Cheers

Alan

20 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

I have seen the AFSOC paper that talks about the application of a float Herk in special operations

use.

Cheers...Ron

After a little reading on the subject today, SOCOM has actually requested a sea plane recently, and a modified C-130 has been suggested. The idea has been around for a while, and not as crazy as I thought it sounded.

jRr0BF.jpg