Hobby Boss 1:16 Tiger I

LSP_K2

Decals. As previously stated, markings are provided for no less than seven tigers, only one of which has unit/divisional markings, and no sheme illustrated, specifies what unit the tank is from.

SXNPNc.jpg

The only divisional markings, LAH, I think, though I haven't verified that. Decals actually look pretty good though, with good color density and registration, as well as thin in appearance. What will happen to them once exposed to water, is anyone's guess. I'll try to see if I can chase down some Das Reich or Totenkopf markings from somewhere.

Qszk6X.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Cool tools, Cant wait to see what you do with the Zim. What medium are you planning use for it?

I'll just try to chase down the Atak set. If that fails, probably epoxy putty of some sort, or I may not apply any at all. I'm not committed one way or the other at this point, really.

The cross-keys insignia is not LSSAH but sSSPzAbt 101.  LSSAH divested it’s Tiger kompanie  (13th if I’m not mistaken) long before the Normandy campaign.  The symbol for the LSSAH  Tiger kompanie was a single key within the shield.  SSSPzAbt 101 was formed from a cadre of Tiger crews from LSSAH and they used the cross-key shield to denote that their organization was derived from LSSAH.  

if memory serves, only the 1st (red w/white outline I’d numbers) and 3rd (blue w/yellow I’d numbers) kompanies of sSSPzAbt 101 displayed the cross-key insignia on their tanks.   First kompanie had it on one side of the vertical glacis  and the third on the opposite side of the vertical glacis. 

I don’t have a reference source for the above information at my fingertips as I’m not near my library.  I can post it later on .

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks for the inputs, fellas. Given that the big Tamiya kit and this one have been available for quite some time, I assume there will be suitable markings out there somewhere. If not, Totenkopf, in particular, would be a snap, much as what I did, using white decal strips, for my Tamiya 1:25 version. I'm far from even starting this kit, let alone starting a scheme, so I still have gobs of time to determine what direction to take it, as regards markings in particular.

Looks like the 101st is correct.

Miscellaneous parts and pieces. Rear mud guards are supposed to be inaccurate, but I've yet to conform that. The vertical bar on the right guard, is offset toward the center of the tank, but supposedly should be the same as the left guard, offset to the right. Again, prominent wingnuts are missing that allow the slide to be locked into position.

mFGDMW.jpg

At least two obvious issues here: ejector pin marks, big ones, but will be fairly easily dealt with. The other issue here, and somewhat more relevant, is the depiction of a solid plate between the inner and outer sections (folded up for rail transport), which would make actually folding them, impossible, if the real deal were made this way, which they were not.

xpJ3Kh.jpg

Towing cables aren't really horrible, but I'll replace mine with some excellent Aber items nonetheless, though they too are not really correct. Gun cleaning rods also look somewhat anemic to me, are completely lacking in detail, and will be replaced, as will be the rather dull and incorrect brackets that hold them, also devoid of any pertinent detail.

Yh0zyz.jpg

The central weld, which really doesn't look all that good anyway, may or may not be positioned correctly, but I have no reason at all to think the outer weld, near the rim, is in any way correct. And yes, rubber rimmed road wheels are in fact real rubber in the kit, and I'm not wild about that idea at all.

8tOdRE.jpg