Lee White XB-51 1/32 scale

THE thud

I have one in balsa wood which is about 8 inches long. It is an old kit, maybe 70 years old. The kit is crude; just a few pieces of wood that you carve.

Ah, the good olde days; when men were men and women were women and modelers were modelers not assemblers of plastic pre made parts.

Our balsa models had hair under their wings, by gum! They were real he-man kits. Yes, them were the days.

By golly,  in those days we had to go and hunt our own balsa trees, drag them home and skin them ourselves.

However if you want I will sell it to you for $10 (that includes postage and insurance) and mail it to you. It is in pretty rough shape and I don't think it is worth it. Really, all you need are the plans and a hunk of balsa and you have the kit.

I will email you the plans free for nothing but the plans are pretty crude.

Yours, the old coot.:rofl:

Thud,

Good luck finding one. I was able to score one off of ebay about 3 years ago. In some email correspondence with Lee he recalled making only 10 or 12 examples, so they are quite rare.

My build is currently stalled, I cracked the canopy, but should be back into build mode soon.

Dan

2 hours ago, THE thud said:

Dan 

I have been following your build and it is amazing . I have the 1/48 resin one in the box and will build it some day . I also started a 1/32 scale out of balsa core so I guess I have to go back to that one . LOL  Oh well such is life of a person that likes X planes 

I built the 1/48th one as well, but it looks dinky next to the larger one.

Like X planes?? Get a 3d printer and learn some basic cad. I received a 3d printer as a gift last year. My first reaction......Yikes, now I have to learn cad! But it can be done. I know next to nothing about computers but I can design and print basic shapes. Early jets and X planes generally had smooth flowing curves that lend themselves to 3d printing.

Low end printers are not that expensive and Fusion 360 is free to use for home hobbyists. I learned most of my design skills from YouTube videos.

Dan

I have 3   3d printers 2 resin and a FDM  seemecnc rostock max v3  . I also know solidworks but dont have it due to job change.  Also wish I had time to do all the designs I would love to do.  But you are correct I was going to draw up a bunch of parts for my 1/32 Xb-51 but before the job change I could not get to them . I will have to try fusion 360 !

Thank you 

2 hours ago, THE thud said:

I have 3   3d printers 2 resin and a FDM  seemecnc rostock max v3  . I also know solidworks but dont have it due to job change.  Also wish I had time to do all the designs I would love to do.  But you are correct I was going to draw up a bunch of parts for my 1/32 Xb-51 but before the job change I could not get to them . I will have to try fusion 360 !

Thank you 

Wow, you got me beat. XB-51 fuselage is basically one constant profile for 75% in the middle. It's the ends that will get you.

Dan

Right I do mechanical drawings now problem the curves are the issue. I can do landing gear and such . I bought my resin printer for cheap and then fixed it to work again. The second resin one I have I got really cheap but have to fix the lcd screen yet ,  the rostock works great . If anyone needs anything printed let me know lol  I love printing stuff