Artful69

Flying with real miniature engines

Wow... one could almost believe those are 1/1 scale radials!

Yeah, shame about the prangs.  I went to a huge RC invitational at the Palm Beach polo club one time many years ago.  A guy had a HYUOOOOOOGE C-47 (wing span was like 10 feet) powered by two  actual radial engines like these.  When it was in the air you'd have sworn it was a real airplane.  Something happened when he was on short final to land, and it stalled and dropped nose first into the canal at the end of the field.  Smashed into a million bits and in nasty Florida canal water.  That had to be tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware and untold amounts of work *poof*.

I used to build and fly control line models when I was a teen. They were almost always scale models of something real but almost invariably they would end up in a thousand bit scattered over the park. All the work trying to make them look like the real thing all painted up and gone. Hence why I started building large scale plastic planes. When you've finished all that work you put them in the cabinet and they can be enjoyed and admired for years.

TRF

Posted (edited)

Me too, did the flying stuff when younger and got fed up of the time effort and expense just to come home with a bag of broken balsa bits. Concentrated on static plastic and been happy ever since

Edited by europapete
spelling