Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

On 9/8/2023 at 4:11 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

hgniKTB.jpg

No matter what avionics are installed in an L-39 or L-29, I always run an IPad and IPhone with ForeFlight running.

I dearly loved having Foreflight on my IPad when I was still flying.  Easy to move from one airplane to another and it didn’t care if it was in my Cub, my glider or my 182.   Being old school as I am, I always felt a bit guilty because simply following the magenta highway made life so easy compared to using a sectional - felt like I was reduced from a steely eyed aviator to just another button pusher.  Of course, all that went away when I realized I was no longer lost as soon as I left the pattern.

10 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I dearly loved having Foreflight on my IPad when I was still flying.  Easy to move from one airplane to another and it didn’t care if it was in my Cub, my glider or my 182.   Being old school as I am, I always felt a bit guilty because simply following the magenta highway made life so easy compared to using a sectional - felt like I was reduced from a steely eyed aviator to just another button pusher.  Of course, all that went away when I realized I was no longer lost as soon as I left the pattern.

yep-

the ONLY reason I have the large-format IPhone is for ForeFlight. Sometimes I’m too lazy to set up the IPad..just whip the phone out and I’ve got SA.

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Wonder if we'll see a day in the future where something like this displaces standard instruments (at least in non-IFR, lower performance LSA / general aviation piston type aircraft)?

Full glass panels - no steam  gauges at all - are common in all sorts of GA airplanes from corporate jets to single place puddle jumpers.  Flat touch screens for IFR flight, navigation, fuel and engine management with full synthetic vision doesn’t so much as raise an eyebrow these days.  No moving parts to speak of - just electrons and ones and zeros.  Aviation took a quantum leap years ago with the advent of GPS, personal devices and cellphone technology.  My biggest complaint is that new students these days spend so much time learning to use all the mind blowing features found in every glass panel that it takes them forever to solo.  It is so easy to get wrapped up in playing with all the cool gizmology on a long and boring cross country flight that they forget to look outside and often fly the panel instead of the airplane.  We are several generations into flat glass panels already and the stuff gets more cosmicer every day.