P-38, backdate canopy

bobster

16 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Resin or not, the windscreen on the early versions is **completely** different in shape and detail from the later ones.  You can't just sand the flat armored windscreen and get the early type out of it.

Hobbyboss says "hold my beer".

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

Thanks for that, ok let us see what happens, it looks a if there are some guys with the vacform canopies, and I do not want to get involved if Grey Matters are still supplying the required parts with their sets. I am here if any of you need me to do a screen or canopy set.

cheers Ali

Agreed. I'm wiling to vac some, but not if it steps on GMF. Is one of you in the UK, and can give them a phone call directly? They don't seem to be responsive by any other method.

Hello Ali,

I'm happy to lend you the relevant parts from both the Revell and Trumpeter P 38 kits as I have recently aquired both, and the Jerry Rutman\ Grey Matter backdate set ( which, at the risk of repeating myself) that only includes the front windscreen as a vacform, not the whole canopy. I'm in the uk, just let me know if you'd like to go ahead with the project. 

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

14 minutes ago, mouldman said:

Thanks to Duncan, we have now made it clear that the backdate includes vacuform windscreens and not canopies. Thanks to Alistair for bringing this thread to my attention and Bigg Tim , I will get back to you, if it is not too late! :)

Tim

Hiya Tim - I would love to have any way to get the vac windscreens - would purchase two - my Grey Matter backdate set did not have the vac parts within it but I purchased years ago.....

Edited by petrov27

On 6/8/2020 at 1:46 AM, Captain Boogaloo said:

Hello Ali,

I'm happy to lend you the relevant parts from both the Revell and Trumpeter P 38 kits as I have recently aquired both, and the Jerry Rutman\ Grey Matter backdate set ( which, at the risk of repeating myself) that only includes the front windscreen as a vacform, not the whole canopy. I'm in the uk, just let me know if you'd like to go ahead with the project. 

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Hi

As can be seen I contacted Tim to find out what the full story was and is. I did not cross his path and or get involved in making masters and parts when there is a solution available. 
However if there are a few of you who think that other canopy sections would be useful, for any of the P-38 Lightning Versions, let me know. I am not sure what and if there are any further short comings that need to be addressed. 
I am glad has put the matter straight from his side.

cheers Ali

Looks like there is a need for a back dated canopy. As mentioned earlier, I have proceeded to use the front vac wind sheild from GM, and find it does not fit the Trumpeter kit well at all. There is a step- down on the side walls on the vac part, as is present on the Trumpeter fuselage. After a week of work, I think it will fit.  If not, the kit part, which fits nicely, will be modified  by adding plastic over the front flat, followed by sanding and then vacuforming a new part. This should be fairly easy.The GM part was intended for the ancient but nice Revell kit, and does NOT fit the Trumpy kit at all. If a modified kit part was vacuformed, no infringement on GM, right?

Everything went together very well, and thanks for asking. Very happy with the quality of the resin. I plan on doing at least 2 more backdates using Rutman resin. The canopy is the last hurdle, then on to paint. A CLEAR RESIN canopy designed for the Trumpeter kit would be ideal, and could be easily modified to fit the Revell kit as well. But not ever attempting to use clear resin, this might be a chore to do. If resin canopy ever comes available, I would definitely be in the market for some.