Looking for a new airbrush.

Aptivaboy

Thanks for everyones' advice and help. After looking at everything, I'm going to rebuild one of my Paasche VLs with new parts into a faux-VLS Pro for better control and atomization with the newer paint picker air cap and use that for larger areas. Then, I'll likely either go for a Grex or a Sotar 20/20 for finer detail work depending upon price. There are a lot of Labor Day sales going on right now so its a matter of working my way through Amazon, Spraygunner, Dixie Art, Coast Airbrush and the rest looking for the right deal. Part of me is still intrigued by the oft-maligned Aztek but the ability to disassemble a Grex or Sotar and get replacement parts is so important, plus being able to easily get hose adapters. I really wish another high quality airbrush maker would go the modular route with tips and caps like Testors did with the Aztek. I'm trying to imagine what an Iwata Aztek would look like and how great it would be. 'Til then, I'm sticking with a more traditional brush.

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited by Aptivaboy

23 hours ago, Aptivaboy said:

Hi Nichenson,

I've not seen it in person, but I have heard about it from multiple online sources and reviews. The issue seems to be machining, where the needles don't sit perfectly centered. For myself, that isn't enough to stop me from buying one potentially since I've used the VL for years, and while a solid, bulletproof airbrush, trust me, the needles are rarely if ever centered and I still got more than acceptable performance. I did see a review on Youtube awhile back that showed some of the issues but can't find it now to post it. Having said this, the Paasche Vision and Talon brushes have significantly more serious problems with centering. What makes me look at them despite this is the ready availability of spare parts, needles, etc. I'm also looking at a Sotar 20/20. I've always loved the look of that brush. 

Mel, those look like nice brushes. Interestingly, they look exactly like the Grex without the plastic hand holds. I'm wondering if they aren't built on license from Grex, or if they're just similar looking - similar uses leading to very similar designs?

Bob

PS. Nichenson, do you know if the Grex is made in the USA?

Hello Nichelson, I did not get the notice of your mention, the AB 300 chaves airbrushes are very good, cheap and indestructible, as I said before ... and I "treated them badly" in the sense that I did not stop painting for hours with and I used a lot of industrial solvent between changing paint to clean it, in my personal experience I recommend them, for our hobby it is more than enough

Edited by Mel

On 9/1/2019 at 6:33 PM, nichenson said:

Regardless, you need something you can hold in your hand comfortably.  Beyond that the only thing that matters is quality.  Everything else is self learning like how to thin, controlling air, and diagnosing the spray patterns. 

True, if one doesn't understand how to manage their paints and required airpressure, even the most expensive airbrush can't provide a satisfying result.

Ask me how I know :)

Lothar

Badger Patriot 105.

Under $100.

Super easy to clean.

Gravity feed.

Simple to use.

Easy to convert to Ultra fine, fine, medium and large.

Lots of spare parts.

If the needle bearing leaks (mine began to leak after 8 years of heavy use) ship it to Badger and they fix it for free, you pay shipping though.

I have three of them and a Krome.

9 hours ago, Padubon said:

Badger Patriot 105.

Under $100.

Super easy to clean.

Gravity feed.

Simple to use.

Easy to convert to Ultra fine, fine, medium and large.

Lots of spare parts.

If the needle bearing leaks (mine began to leak after 8 years of heavy use) ship it to Badger and they fix it for free, you pay shipping though.

I have three of them and a Krome.

Like he said, Badger patriot.  You can get one at lower prices, and aftermarket support is the best!

PS: Also have a Badger Krome and Sotar. :-)

Here are my airbrushes.

Iwata Custom micron.

Iwata HP.C plus.

Harder and Steenbeck Infinity.

Harder and Steenbeck Evolution Silverline.

Badger Sotar 20/20.

Sparmax.

The Iwata and Harder and Steenbeck brushes are wonderful. I swich them out. As for quality both brands are superb. For very fine lines both the Custom micron and Infinity are stunning. I have 2 needles for the Micron and 3 for the Infinity. I use these for ultra fine work.

The HP.C Plus and Silverline are my workhorses. Each of these have a nicer feel in my hand, especially the Silverline. Harder and Steenbeck have interchangeable parts. Of the two I prefer the Silverline. It is a wonderful airbrush. I am able to switch out cups, which is a great benefit.

The Badger Sotar is also a nice airbrush, fine line and broad. However it is a cheaper brush compared to those above. As such it is not built with equal to those above. I tend not to use it for fear of it breaking. 

The Sparmax is a cheaper version of a basic Iwata. It's okay. Nothing special.

I did own a Paashe Talon but it wasn't for me. Build quality was shocking. It broke twice when I wasn't even using it. Sold it on ebay. When it arrived at the buyer's home it had broken yet again. I won't buy another.

Cleaning quality is won by a large measure by Harder and Steenbeck.  Iwata has tiny nozzles. One needs a special tool to remove them without fear of damage. The Sotar is similar. The Sparmax is easy, not as delicate as Iwata.

The Custom micron comes in a metal case. Both H&S brushes come in strong plastic cases.

The Sotar and HP.C plus come in a box.

From all of the above my favourite is the Silverline. It is simply beautiful.

IHTH.

,1VIf43.jpg

5FuO3h.jpg

OrrXhW.jpg

Edited by mpk