ICM 1/48 scale MiG-25 PD

Gazzas

Hey guys,

Thank you!

Brian,

The fit was pretty good though it's modular construction makes mistakes possible.  The MiG 31 you're thinking of is by AMK, and an amazing kit to have. 

The missiles in this kit are appalling.  But the A/C itself is not too bad.  The sprues are packed in a single bag causing some bending of small protuberances.  Most of the minor fit issues can be solved by trimming the inside of parts before gluing.  And for some reason some of the detail on the dorsal area between cockpit and rudders is raised where it is recessed on the rest of the kit.  So...  scribing is required.   But I am told it's still the finest MiG-25 kit available.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What's wrong with the missiles?  I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them...

OK...  The outer shells of the missile tube are textured like you'd expect to find on a larger scale tank turret.  All of the four front vanes/fletches are thick and untapered/block-ish at all of the edges.  The rear vanes have a fine edge at the front with heavy block-ish detail at the back with a square trailing edge.  The main/rear vanes have no feature to help with straight and or perpendicular alignment.  Both missile rail and missiles have raised features which must be removed to make the missile fit to the rail.  I had to pin the missiles.  

That's it...  They looked like 1970 missiles. 

Even the Russian Sidewinder copies are thick and chunky/unrealistic looking.

Great model Gazzas. :goodjob: 

I built the RBT, and found what you did: good fit if you work on it.  How did you get on attaching the cockpit module to the main fuselage? I found it impossible without cutting the lip of plastic off the bottom of the main fuselage, as did a fellow club member (so it wasn't just me).

31 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Great model Gazzas. :goodjob: 

I built the RBT, and found what you did: good fit if you work on it.  How did you get on attaching the cockpit module to the main fuselage? I found it impossible without cutting the lip of plastic off the bottom of the main fuselage, as did a fellow club member (so it wasn't just me).

Thank you Michael!

Yes, this kit also has issues behind the bottom of the cockpit module.  The part went together fine, it's just there was a noticeable step to remove.  But the whole modular concept I found annoying, and due to a mistake on my part early on, there were huge consequences later.  It's one of those things where you wish you had the time to do another one. 

Gaz

On 19 June 2019 at 3:55 AM, Gazzas said:

Hey guys,

Thank you!

Brian,

The fit was pretty good though it's modular construction makes mistakes possible.  The MiG 31 you're thinking of is by AMK, and an amazing kit to have. 

The missiles in this kit are appalling.  But the A/C itself is not too bad.  The sprues are packed in a single bag causing some bending of small protuberances.  Most of the minor fit issues can be solved by trimming the inside of parts before gluing.  And for some reason some of the detail on the dorsal area between cockpit and rudders is raised where it is recessed on the rest of the kit.  So...  scribing is required.   But I am told it's still the finest MiG-25 kit available.

Gaz

Thanks for the tips. I botched an RBT by being too clever (or very stupid).

The raised lines are prolly representing weld lines. The real thing used a lot of stainless steel. 

Great model with a lovely finish. 

Tony