Resin wheels on Tamiya's F-15 kits

AnthonyWan

Title says it all. 

Anyone done resin wheels in replacement of the kit's rubber? 

Reason for asking...seems like most wheels include wheel and hub cast together, kit's setup has you screwing hub and then fitting tire. 

Curious what creative solutions y'all have seen or done. 

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Luca said:

GT Resin (A/B/C/D/E)

RES-IM (A/B/C/D)

NorthStar (E)

I have the Northstar set. 

The hubs, tires are molded as one - I was looking for a solution to attaching them to the kit's metal gear since the kit parts require a screw. 

7 hours ago, timvkampen said:

GT Resin

Have you used these before? 

I'm curious how your experience was. 

Looking at the photos - it looks like the hub is separate to make installation more like the kit parts. 

3 hours ago, AnthonyWan said:

Have you used these before? 

I'm curious how your experience was. 

Looking at the photos - it looks like the hub is separate to make installation more like the kit parts. 

no, also pondering whether to get them actually...

Her is the results of my research a few years back:

• Parts R us wheels are resin copies of the Revell F-15 kit wheel. The are to small in diameter and to narrow.
  • RES-IM wheels are for a C/D.   A/B wheels are different.  Tires markings are to large and not accurate for the actual tires used.  
  • NorthStar F-15E wheel are much to large in profile and diameter and the wheel lightening holes are the wrong size.  F-15 E's use two styles of wheels, one with small and one will large holes.
  • GT Resin wheels are made from  CAD drawings based on input from the manufacturers drawings and the actual wheels and tires.  Both Michelin "Aviator" tires and Goodyear tires are available.   Wheels, brakes, and tires are separate for ease of assembly and painting.   You can also drill a hole in the brake drum and id a screw to attached them to the main gear just like the kit gear.  They are a little more expensive, but the look is worth it even is I am a little biased.  Chuck Sawyer used the GT Resin set on his F-15C build a year or so back.  Several others have used them on their builds.  the oval holes I the Wheels are designed to be easily removed so you get the realistic look of the brake drum behind it.

Pics are courtesy of Chuck Sawyer form his build thread.

GT%20Resin%20wheels1.jpg

MainGear3.jpg

MainGear6.jpg

NoseGear2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by ghatherly

16 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Her is the results of my research a few years back:

• Parts R us wheels are resin copies of the Revell F-15 kit wheel. The are to small in diameter and to narrow.
  • RES-IM wheels are for a C/D.   A/B wheels are different.  Tires markings are to large and not accurate for the actual tires used.  
  • NorthStar F-15E wheel are much to large in profile and diameter and the wheel lightening holes are the wrong size.  F-15 E's use two styles of wheels, one with small and one will large holes.
  • GT Resin wheels are made from  CAD drawings based on input from the manufacturers drawings and the actual wheels and tires.  Both Michelin "Aviator" tires and Goodyear tires are available.   Wheels, brakes, and tires are separate for ease of assembly and painting.   You can also drill a hole in the brake drum and id a screw to attached them to the main gear just like the kit gear.  They are a little more expensive, but the look is worth it even is I am a little biased.  Chuck Sawyer used the GT Resin set on his F-15C build a year or so back.  Several others have used them on their builds.  the oval holes I the Wheels are designed to be easily removed so you get the realistic look of the brake drum behind it.

Pics are courtesy of Chuck Sawyer form his build thread.

GT%20Resin%20wheels1.jpg

MainGear3.jpg

MainGear6.jpg

NoseGear2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hi Gary, thanks. One question: how does one find out whether a particular Eagle flew with Michelin or Goodyear? For instance the Soesterberg AB, NL F-15s (C/D models and A/B were flown there). Same for Bitburg, germany.