Luftwaffe Squadron code numbers and letters for Silhouette.

Looking for vectors or clipart files that have the full alphabet and Identification numbers in the Luftwaffe Second World War style so I can create masks for myself using the Silhouette cutter. I swear I had a link saved but I can’t find it. Also anything in the RAF and USAAF styles would be great. Or font names would suffice.  Thanks in advance. Working more in 1/24 scale these days and the masks or decals don’t exist for what I want to do. 

That’s great. Exactly what I’m after. Thanks. If you look to the right of the page the USAAF and USAF fonts are there too. Amarillo is the one. The name was escaping me before but now I’ve seen it it jogged the memory. 

Edited by ade rowlands

Just a few comments Ade as I went thru the same search a while ago. 

Not or all the Luftwaffe aircraft had the same font. Most of the factory codes used the standard font but the Fi 156 for example did not. Numbers and letters at squadron level mostly approximated the official font. Even with the USAF and Navy fonts there are variations at squadron level.

Fortunately the Sillouette software allows for adjusting the spacing of the fonts. It is relatively simple to do your own letters by using the drawing tools over a side on photo. I am mostly doing this to get the letters and numbers accurate.  

Nick

Well the plan at the moment is to do Werner Schorer's 109G-2 Trop using the 1/24 Trumpeter G-2 kit (going to have to scratch build the filter myself). Well thats the leading candidate at the moment,I'm not having much luck finding actual images of the aircraft just other peoples models of it in other scales. But if I can find an image of a G-2 with the underwing cannon gondolas fitted that one might just leapfrog it. I'm in the early stages of research at the moment. Plan for masks is the national insignia and the markings plus the kill tally for the rudder. 

25 minutes ago, Fanes said:

I found some pictures of Schröers G-2:
https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109G/JG27.html (7th row from the top)

Maybe that's a little help?

Yes, it helps, it confirms the Red 1 and Stab marking should be outlined in Black the 1 looks a little different to normal too the offshoot at the top looks a little longer. So its a start. Now to confirm White wing tips on the undersides or not I'd say the fuselage band is a White one given its theatre of operations. The second photo was taken a second too soon to confirm whether the victory tally was on both sides of the rudder. Also one of the other photos showing the Cross on the top of the wing, where the pilots are standing on the wing root. To me it looks like a regular Black/White Balkenkreuze not just a White outlined one. Decent views of the fuselage camouflage demarcations too. They've really helped. Thanks.

Edited by ade rowlands

10 minutes ago, Fanes said:

You're welcome. I have no idea how I found this site but there are lots of pictures sorted by squadrons.
Maybe you'll even find a G2 with the big cannons?

Now I have some good photos for reference I'm 90% sure I'm going for the Schroer G-2. I'll track down a 1/24 G-6 Early version for a cannon bird I think. 

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Like the RAF, most Luftwaffe codes were painted on at unit level, and there was endless variability in the overall size, proportions, stroke width, and letter/number style depending

RAF units had a team of trained painters who worked to official letter and number sizes and locations as laid down in the relevant Air Publication.  Width of stroke, curve radii, etc, were all written down as a fraction of height.  There were local variations, Squadron level changes at the discretion of the CO.  Roundel locations and airframe serial numbers were normally fixed - they were factory applied as was the initial cammo scheme.

I have drawn up basic RAF codes in AutoCAD and they can be imported into Silhouette as a DXF.  They are drawn so the border of each letter/number is set at half the letter spacing so they can be cut then butted together at exactly the right spacing.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

11 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The font in the post above is not what was generally used for most Luftwaffe codes as painted on airplanes.  Those, if anything, represent pre-war German civilian registration letters pretty well, but rarely would they be appropriate for a Luftwaffe subject.  

Well that's disappointing, so all my meticulously researched Luftwaffe models are wrong.  I'll have to write to the German expert Bert Hartmann, the owner of Luftarchiv.de and let him know now that the American expert has spoken.

Hi Max

5 hours ago, mozart said:

Well that's disappointing, so all my meticulously researched Luftwaffe models are wrong.  I'll have to write to the German expert Bert Hartmann, the owner of Luftarchiv.de and let him know now that the American expert has spoken.

You are right. Your research is all wrong. To help you start over I have included a photo of a pre-war German Civilian plane with your 'number/letter style'.

ju188-E-0-ST-GL.jpg

Nick