box scale Cessna 182

chrish

I agree! That old Nichimo 1/20- 1/25? scale was also a nice kit, wasn't the Guillows balsa 180 flying model about 1/20- 1/21 or so? I wonder if it could be made into a static scale model? might have to look into that...

1 minute ago, chrish said:

I agree! That old Nichimo 1/20- 1/25? scale was also a nice kit, wasn't the Guillows balsa 180 flying model about 1/20- 1/21 or so? I wonder if it could be made into a static scale model? might have to look into that...

Agreed, the Nichimo kit is very nice! 

Its a 172 IIRC though......

I might have to hunt for an old Monogram 180. :hmmm:

9 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Agreed, the Nichimo kit is very nice! 

Its a 172 IIRC though......

I might have to hunt for an old Monogram 180. :hmmm:

You're right, it's a 172

I'd say go for it and grab up one of these Monogram 180's! just an opinion but I love em!

6 minutes ago, chrish said:

You're right, it's a 172

I'd say go for it and grab up one of these Monogram 180's! just an opinion but I love em!

Also agreed! Just makes me wish we had a 32nd 180 to set next to my O-1. How big are the 1/41st scale 180s anyway? 

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Also agreed! Just makes me wish we had a 32nd 180 to set next to my O-1. How big are the 1/41st scale 180s anyway? 

I just got home and measured one, 11" span, 7 1/2" long. 

Apparently the Piper tri-pacer is 1/32 but probably by some happy coincidence rather than by design...

I think you should as well yup.

I actually just bumped mine off the bench because all the resin and etch stuff showed up for my Trumpeter 1/32 EE ightning. I just couldn’t wait to dig into it. The Aires cockpit is a work of art.

might rejoin the multi engine group build if I get rolling on it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • chrish changed the title to box scale cessna 180 convert to 182

Thanks for looking/ taking time to leave a comment.

I've sanded the fuselage smooth and as suspected the rivets and panel lines can still be seen in the silver plastic. A nice guide for re-scribing/ re-riveting.

gNGSmCU.jpg

The model exhibits a crown to the roof in profile un-prototypical of the real thing.

HfIVdeH.jpg

A new roof will be fabricated from .020" sheet.

iC1MNCb.jpg

A little more work done on the 182, I seem to be jumping around in construction...oddly I just noticed I didn't have the instructions for the kit...hasn't seemed to have slowed me down at all. Try that with the DML 1/32 Bf 110.

Pictures of 1957 Cessna 182's on the internet are serving for references. Trying to determine what's original and what's upgraded/ rebuilt is a bit of an issue though. While looking at pictures of the panel to try to determine instrument layout I found a picture of one with a rather humorous placard reading "Don't Do Anything Stupid." Good advise in my opinion 

Some pics:

The kit cabin

zqvnGdu.jpg

added flap handle and trim wheel(s)

0RyWAWJ.jpg

kit panel..not that bad really for the age of the kit.

YWqIdUU.jpg

building (hopefully a more prototypical) panel.

ZA8A7b4.jpg

working on a better fit of the cabin doors, the side door windows are also too small (narrow) but changing one means changing both door and side light windows...we'll see...

yl3XVs6.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Thanks for the encouragement Kevin!

A bit more work today between bird house renovations and finding a home for the pollinators...bees. 

I've spent an enjoyable few hours building up an instrument panel, probably a waste of time unless I leave a door open as not much is visible in there...but since when has not visible stopped a modeller from adding detail right? It still needs mixture, throttle and pitch? controls as well as the hand brake lever under the left yoke...those controls are built and just need holes drilled and placement in the panel. 

qq36NmC.jpg

el4mw6e.jpg

As a tribute to the original panel, I shaved off the glove box door and glued it to this panel (right side below the gas? gauge)