Lethal B2

Gerhard

Whiteman AFB Has Released A Short Clip That Shows A B-2 Dropping Two 30,000-Pound GBU-57 Bunker Buster Bombs

As explained in an article we published last year, there are just a few images showing the GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator carried by (or next to) a B-2 Spirit, the weapon’s intended platform of the large 30,000-lb (14,000 kg) bunker buster bomb. One of these is the photo we published in 2013, here,as well as the video of the B-2 dropping one of the two MOPs the stealth bomber can carry in its internal bomb bay that we found in a clip by the 393rd Bomb Squadron, one of the units that operate the Spirit stealth bomber as part of the 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base Missouri, in October 2017.

However, we got a new glimpse at the MOP in a new video released by the 509th Bomb Wing that shows B-2 Spirit bombers doing a lot of different things, including air-to-air refueling with the Spirit’s peculiar rotating dorsal receptacle (once the refueling has finished the fuel intake required to connect with the tanker’s flying boom can’t remain exposed as it would become RCS “hotspot”) filmed in 2015; launching for a Global Strike Mission in Libya in 2017; generating a condensation cloud (that looks like some sort of cloaking trick – but it is not); and dropping two GBU-57s.

The clip is short, you can see the two bombs released from the internal weapon bay around 00:36:

Edited by Gerhard

Neat video, I live in SE Missouri and I'm pretty sure I heard them flyover when they went to Syria in '17. I live out in the country we don't hear any jets, but that day I actually stopped and looked up and thought somethings up.....:)

When I was stationed at March AFB in Ca. our operators/controllers did some of the radar tests with the B-2. 

Dan

I use to fly AH-1’s Cobras in the Missouri National Guard out of Whiteman AFB.  Way back in 5he early 1990’s.  The B-2’s were just arriving at the time.  An impressive bird back in the 90’s and it’s still looking good and still most effective today it seems.  I can’t beleive the effect of that bomb.  Man I wouldn’t want to witness that while on the ground.  Ouch.  

Thanks for sharing this video.  

Troy