HK Models B-17G Take 2

ErikP

Greetings all! I am not exactly new to the forums as I had an account many moons ago. I was constructing a hyper detailed 32 scale B-17G. I wont bore everyone but life really dealt me bad hand after bad hand for 4 years straight and I am now just getting back into normality and modelling full swing. Unfortunately, the model featured on that thread was never completed and was irreparably destroyed in the 4 moves I made during my 4 year absence. So, hence the title. I now have the re release of the G kit and all the goodies enroute. The previous B-17G didnt die in vein as I learned alot from that build and will take those lessons learned into this build. A small list of what's to come..

1. Internal lighting: I have micro LEDs in an off white/yellowish tint to imitate the actual cabin lighting on the real AC. This will, hopefully, allow all that detail to show through nicely. However, I do not plan to do exterior lighting (i.e. landing lights, formations lights etc.) I just want the insides glowing!

2. Chin turret: the Eduard cover plate will NOT be used this time around. I now have plenty of references on the real deal to scratch build an accurate chin turret and its mechanisms. The floor under the bombardier chair will be clear styrene. I am also working out a way for the turret itself to be removable so the guts can be shown off. Also with the lighting and clear floor, I'm hoping it can be seen decently enough while in the AC as well.

3. Actual construction sequence: what do I mean by that? Well, I had a bad habit of doing one compartment complete at a time. This made for tons of unnecessary work and masking and seriously jeopardized previously finished sections. More on this later.

4. Complete airframe rebuild: like the previous attempt,  I plan on grinding the entire moulded airframe out and completely rebuilding it more accurately in Evergreen styrene. This is one area that #3 comes into play. This time, I'm doing both sides of the fuselage from nose to tail before any other construction/painting takes place. The floors and bulkheads will be temporarily assembled to be inserted into the fuselage halves to ensure the new airframe doesnt interfere with the rest of the interior. Once the new airframe is built and fit checked, I will start the detailing.

5. Newly found aftermarket: As with my last build, I have:

-Big Ed set 1

-Eduard Landing gear and exterior sets (I didnt want the landing flaps or placards as I'm not extending the flaps and the placard set is redundant. Engine photo etch isnt needed)

-Big Sin engine set

-Brassin Wheels (these are currently out of stock everywhere I went. Will order when available)

-Brassin superchargers 

-Brassin .50 cal machine gun set. Wanted to try these over the Aires (Aires guns on the last build). May still end up ordering the Aires guns depending on the Eduard detailing. However, knowing Eduard, this wont be necessary.

New stuff:

-Resin2detail pilot seats without belts. Only need one set as this time, the additional seats in the radio room will not be added per the 1/1 scale bird.

-Master Details chin turret inserts, tail turret inserts, norden bomb sight, ammo belts, control yokes, oxygen system, parachute packs and the nose defroster.

Decals: Little Miss Mischief and Kit World B-17G stencils

I apologize now for the very wordy start to this build. I do not have any of the above mentioned items in hand yet but will before the new year according to my shipping invoices so photos will be flowing very, very soon. Cheers to all and have a very Merry Christmas! I plan on putting up photos before New Year but in case I cant, Happy New Year as well! My New Year resolution....FINISH THIS KIT 100%! 

Erik

Looking forward to it Eric!

Mine is currently on hold while I move because I don't have a work bench in my current house (staying with friends for a wee bit). But, we just went under contract on a new house and I'll have my own hobby room! So, I'll be moving again shortly, and she'll be back on the bench. Yay moving!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Just now, ErikP said:

Ok, Kev, can you refresh me on how to download photos. I dont have any photo sharing accounts anymore. Do I need one? I have most of the model and accessories here in hand now and would like to start putting up pics. Thanks in advance 

Hey Erik,

Yes, you will need a photo hosting service like SmugMug, Flickr, Imgur or the like to get photos up.

I personally had PB, so cant recommend them too much