WNW kits sold out - what’s next?

Pup7309

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 1:47 PM, scvrobeson said:

My money is on the Pfalz D.XII or original Ninak.  Only because both have been around for a long time, and aren't popular enough subjects that they would have made a whole lot of them.

Matt 

Makes sense!

On 11/3/2018 at 2:42 AM, Tnarg said:

It is often the one that shows up on the home page... clearing out stock may be what they are doing.

But you never can quite figure out what they are up to next.... good business practice.

Tnarg

Yes they seem to feature the best sellers and/ or those low on stock in their home page. I read in another forum a guy said he  was working out stock levels through the checkout basket. He was right with some predictions...

I can understand why some of their kits would be limited run, however there are some that should be unlimited.  The Fokker D VII, the Sopwith Camels, the SE5a, the Albatros DV, the Fokker EI, Pfalz DIII and maybe a few others.  These are models that have long term demand and limiting the run limits these kits to modelers in the window of time when the model is available.  If there is a long term plan and a long term commitment certain kits need to be available indefinitely.  New people join our world now and then and by limiting the run for example if they take the D VII and quit offering new boxings or extended runs, eventually it becomes a collectors item.  So the would be modeler that comes into the market in 2025 may not be able to afford one.  

For the long term health of the hobby WNW needs to continue to periodically issue their major subjects.  If they really want to keep this era alive in our minds they need to make a long term commitment to our hobby with plans to issue these kits in the future as the market demands.  

Edited by cbk57

5 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I can understand why some of their kits would be limited run, however there are some that should be unlimited.  The Fokker D VII, the Sopwith Camels, the SE5a, the Albatros DV, the Fokker EI, Pfalz DIII and maybe a few others.  These are models that have long term demand and limiting the run limits these kits to modelers in the window of time when the model is available.  If there is a long term plan and a long term commitment certain kits need to be available indefinitely.  New people join our world now and then and by limiting the run for example if they take the D VII and quit offering new boxings or extended runs, eventually it becomes a collectors item.  So the would be modeler that comes into the market in 2025 may not be able to afford one.  

For the long term health of the hobby WNW needs to continue to periodically issue their major subjects.  If they really want to keep this era alive in our minds they need to make a long term commitment to our hobby with plans to issue these kits in the future as the market demands.  

I know right? If a kit is OOP then people new to the game get burned. If they want a kit then it’s scalpers prices. 

I think Wingnut is like Weta with limited  runs. Weta statues, I believe are never repeated in the same way. With a mould for plastic  it’s a bit of a different ball game.

Anyway I hope Wingnut keep up production of popular types. These kits for the average person are pricey. I’m glad some fighters have been reissued. I paid too much for an Albatros and Fokker, then they were re- released. Live and learn.

But they seem to be turning over older kits. When the boxing is gone it’s gone. The kit itself might turn up again, some time..

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2018 at 5:46 AM, Fred Jack said:

I truly wish it was none. Since WnWs now sell distribute to shops worldwide, there is no reason for limited runs, especially with Pheon making decals for planes no longer in production.

I wonder if the kit lines will sell out quicker because they are selling through retail. Do they order more to be produced or just have a set amount? The W.29 and green tail trilogy early sell outs seem to indicate one run only...?

I don't know why people get their underwear in a twist when it comes to WNW kits going OOP - all kits are limited runs, because it's simply not economically viable for a manufacturer to keep a kit in continuous production. These kits then come back into production when the management feel the time is right, and a profit can be made. Whether that production run is 50 kits or 500,000, it's still limited. Tamiya, Hasegawa, Airfix, Italeri etc. all have kits that go in and out of production.

9 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I wonder if the kit lines will sell out quicker because they are selling through retail. Do they order more to be produced or just have a set amount? The W.29 and green tail trilogy early sell outs seem to indicate one run only...?

The Green Tail Trilogy was a very limited production run for whatever reason. It wasn't produced in the same numbers as the regular WnW kits.

The BR1 Camel sells really well so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the first of the Camel kits to sell out (whenever that happens). However that is just my opinion purely based on the sales I see and not on any 'whispers in the wind'.

Duncan B