Revell 1/16 Hawaiian Funny car build.

dmthamade

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I traded off the remnants of this kit a couple of years back, but I'd really like to snatch anther kit one day. I've seen this kit built into the most impressive 1:16 dragster model ever. The guy just did an absolutely outstanding job on it.

NXQbyi.jpg

I wouldn't mind doing one of the front engine dragster kits, something to park beside the Hawaiian.

Don

51 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

It's funny, aircraft builds i'm usually pretty good about letting stuff slide, car kits not so much. Have to let go though, or nothing gets done.

Don

I may be of the same school. I've been an auto mechanic...pardon me, automotive technician...(the new approved term) for 40 years now and I can't build car models, they make me nuts! I built 3 models of cars I've owned, a '74 Road runner (440 CID), 74 Charger (440) and 78 RCMP police interceptor (440) The Road Runner took 5 other kits parts to make mine accurate, the Charger took 4 other kits and the RCMP interceptor...curb side model of Roscoe's Dukes of Hazard Dodge...Still not happy with it years later but living with it....kinda   

2 hours ago, chrish said:

I may be of the same school. I've been an auto mechanic...pardon me, automotive technician...(the new approved term) for 40 years now and I can't build car models, they make me nuts! I built 3 models of cars I've owned, a '74 Road runner (440 CID), 74 Charger (440) and 78 RCMP police interceptor (440) The Road Runner took 5 other kits parts to make mine accurate, the Charger took 4 other kits and the RCMP interceptor...curb side model of Roscoe's Dukes of Hazard Dodge...Still not happy with it years later but living with it....kinda   

Hello chrish!!! I've been an auto mechanic ( old school term I know, but i'm good with it ) for 40+ years and yes,  it is why I won't do cars. When I see aircraft builders obsess over details that seem trivial, I can understand their OCD as I know I would be the same with cars. Also, I work on them 8 by 5, don't need to see them after work, too.

Don

20 hours ago, dmthamade said:

I remember the bodies of the funny car kits seemed to sit much too high on the chassis.

14 minutes ago, rigor said:

Move the rear axle mounts up on the frame.

Explained in detail here:

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/modeling_subjects/f/31/t/27129.aspx?page=1

I'll be doing that with the slew of Revell 1/16 Funny Cars in the stash (that I really need to build one of these days... :whistle:).

D

The axle idea sounds good, at this point everything is glued up though, so i'll be cutting the tinwork to drop the body. The link provided was a good refresher on how to cut the tins, looks all familiar. Done this before, though I think it was 40-45 years ago!!

Don

Long weekend for us in Canada, time for models!! Did manage to cut down the tinwork. Had to section the rear piece about 1/4 inch, while the main part needed about the same. I also had to modify the rear of the main part by trimming the side edges and bending down the rear part.

DE4VkL.jpg

JyLX64.jpg

This allows the body to drop down where i want it. Rollcage almost touches the inner roof so this is the limit i can go. Something always bothered me about the  charger bodies in these kits and i finally figured it out. The rocker panels or lower edge of the body wasn't low enough. Looking at pics of the 70s era funny cars i see many used a reinforcing strip along the bottom. Never saw this on pics of the Hawaiian cars, but absolute accuracy left this build when it left the Revell moulds. I added a strip to give  some more depth and improved the stance.

Before strip

B7iJ4P.jpg

After strip

8iMdpZ.jpg

A small detail, but adds much to the look.

Don

This is gonna be great! I don't build 1/16 scale stuff much but I do like this car. I was looking around for a more complete decal sheet for this one and started my search at Slixx Decals but couldn't turn anything up except for the 1/25 scale car. Still looking......and watching here.......

I don't know what the decal sheet in the box looks like but if it's short decals you might be able to either contact Slixx Decals or Thomas at Speedway Decals to see what they can either 1.)can turn up for you or 2.) make for you. Both are excellent resources and are a great place to start. Hopefully this will help:

Slixx: http://ecsvr.com/slx/ShopDisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes

Speedway Decals: https://www.speedwaydecals.com/

Edited by mustang1989

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, mustang1989 said:

I don't know what the decal sheet in the box looks like but if it's short decals you might be able to either contact Slixx Decals or Thomas at Speedway Decals to see what they can either 1.)can turn up for you or 2.) make for you. Both are excellent resources and are a great place to start. Hopefully this will help:

Slixx: http://ecsvr.com/slx/ShopDisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes

Speedway Decals: https://www.speedwaydecals.com/

Hello mustang 1989!! The kit sheet is missing a lot, I managed to find a pic by Steve Reyes that is the basis for the box artwork. Obvious is the lack of major sponsor MACS and Steve Kanuika speedshops. Slixx has some really nice stuff and I see Speedway does custom work. I'm sorely tempted to do a what if scheme, have to think of which way i'll go...just finishing up body prep, primer should be down this weekend.

Well, i managed to get blue down. Used a Tamiya spray bomb, TS-89 Pearl Blue. Stuff always works great, first 3 coats of grey Tamiya primer with wet sanding between, then 3 coats of blue. Laid down nicely, no peel, no runs, nice metallic sheen... but it is a little two dark...have to think about this, but i think i'll let it go.

yZnxW3.jpg

PiYmj8.jpg

3xoCUg.jpg

zgNg7M.jpg

Paint is hard enough to handle, but i'll let it harden for a week before painting the bumpers.

Don