F-105F silver or nmf

mark31

i have a F-105G with the F conversion and looking for info

Now when looking at pics it looks to me that the are painted silver instaed of bare metal

is that correct?

thanks in advancde

Mark

Im not the 105 expert Mark but did find this, and the older 105 CE sheet also confirms.....

From Warbird Tech on the Thud:

"All F105's were factory finished in natural metal but under Project Lookalike beginning June 1962 all were painted with a silver laquer sealing compartments against corrosion. Thunderbirds aircraft were left in NM though.

The laquer was clear but had 12 oz of aluminium paste added per gallon (text does not say whether the gallon is US or Imperial)

Early 105B's and also D models in Europe left in NM were found to have suffered badly from corrosion hence the paint job

Later the SE Asia scheme was applied from 1965."

4 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Im not the 105 expert Mark but did find this, and the older 105 CE sheet also confirms.....

From Warbird Tech on the Thud:

"All F105's were factory finished in natural metal but under Project Lookalike beginning June 1962 all were painted with a silver laquer sealing compartments against corrosion. Thunderbirds aircraft were left in NM though.

The laquer was clear but had 12 oz of aluminium paste added per gallon (text does not say whether the gallon is US or Imperial)

Early 105B's and also D models in Europe left in NM were found to have suffered badly from corrosion hence the paint job

Later the SE Asia scheme was applied from 1965."

So no NMF then for the F the are buildt between 1963 and 1964

Will go for the sea camo then

Thanks to you all for the fast response

Mark

Edited by mark31

The Bs and Ds left the factory NMF until 1962,  IIRC. On the field, it took longer than what is written in most books for Project Lookalike to be applied to all airframes.

Even in Europe, where the corrosion and watertightness issues of the NMF appeared and prompted the silver paint solution of Project Lookalike, you still had NMF aircrafts as far as 1963/1964. I certainly remember pics of NMF F-105s in Bitburg and Chaumont dated 1963 or 1964.

As for the stores on the above pic, I’d venture they were painted silver, from my interpretation of the pic.

Hubert