Gloss Coat Recommendations

John1

Just not that happy with Future anymore.   For whatever reason, I can’t seem to get a uniform coating with this stuff.    What do you folks suggest for a nice shiny, easy to airbrush, alternative?   

Edited by John1

Tamiya X-22 Clear thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner is a great clear gloss. BTW, if you already have the Mr Color Levelling Thinner you may want to try it with Future. Thinning Future with it makes it behave much better. 

Im using  Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear III mixed with Levelling thinner (2-3 heavy coats are usually enough) for the overall gloss coat, for small parts I have MRP gloss clear.

The most important is to let it dry at least for 24 hours before decals or wetahering.

jan

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Ive swapped over to ALL MRP stuff including their 3 clears. I've found their clear coats spay as utterly wonderfully as their paints do. Highly recommended. 

I've just begun really using the Testors clear lacquer, and love it to death.

IMO, lacquer is the only way to go.  Lacquer dries so quickly, it is so hard once cured, and there should not be an issue spraying over acrylic as long as the acrylic is dry.

I love the Mr. Color stuff in the little bottles, or decanted Tamiya TS-13 is great too.  As are the Gunze rattle cans.

I tend to buy gloss, and flat...and then mix my own blends for semi-gloss applications.

Mr. Color GX Super Clear III in the larger than normal bottle is awesome, but it can be hard to get in the States.