Trumpeter 1/32nd SU-27 Flanker - June 28th Cutting & Chopping

crobinsonh

25 minutes ago, AlanG said:

My fave jet apart from the Tornado. Think it was the display team that did it for me. Sat watching them on my tea-break at RAF St.Athan. Beautiful!

Surprisingly I'm not normally a jet guy; at least not a modern grey USN type jet guy, but the modern Russian subjects like the Su-30 and Su-57 REALLY appeal to me.  I went with the Russian yellow primer on mine and even for as loud at it is, and as much room as it takes up, Id love to build a Sea Flanker all folded up to go beside it.

• 1 year later...

It has only been 18 months since I last looked at my Flanker. I have started a 1/24th 109G which I do plan to continue later this year. Right now I am focussing on advancing this model as the kit I really wanted to build (QF-4) I am awaiting the right parts and that is approx 60 days away from arriving.

So what have been doing today? re-acquainting myself with what a beast of a kit this is. I have started on cutting her up ready to add AM and most importantly the lovely Zactomodels bits and pieces. First off being the intakes (which are a work of art in themselves) and the Aires gear bays parts.

First off you can see the areas that need removing and that I have been drilling away ready for removal

sHdZZt.jpg

That all worked pretty well to get us here.

5TeDAH.jpg

I could not working out why the Aires AM Main Gear bays did not appear correctly until I noticed the instructions highlighting that some of the plastic in front of the bay needed removing to enable the correct fitting of the parts.

QuNG8v.jpg

Hopefully you can see the difference between the one of the left that is not complete and has the wheel bay at an odd angle to the rest of the aircraft and the right which has been fitted correctly with the extra plastic removed as shown in the aires instructions.

eGo9yZ.jpg

The last two images show this with the AM pieces placed so you can see the difference it makes

aiaZYT.jpg

98bgLG.jpg

Can anyone let me know whether the Trumpeter instructions are correct for the intake/ramp colours? I am planning on a 2000-2003 bird (if that makes a difference)

More cutting, filling and sanding to come....

11 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Glad you're back at it Colin! 

You're painting of the cockpit and wheel wells is top notch!

I have the same kit and will be following your build closely!

PS. Didn't occur to me that the lemon yellow Flanker was yours! That was an awesome model! :bow:

I wish the lemon yellow Flanker was mine - it was actually built by @Out2gtcha