Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Can you send us some spare degrees. If I did the conversion correctly that's 105F! but Sunday night it's supposed to be 2F and that's without the wind chill.  fFnally on Monday the forecast is for above freezing

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE:1/6/18: THE COWLING AND .30 CAL

What a nice feeling being able to make some progress at every work session and not a ounce of frustration at all.

With the Wright Cyclone R-1820-32 firmly glued on the engine mount and the entire nose end assembly finished, it was time to tackle the multi piece cowling. Yikes: completely cast out of brittle clear plastic, which is about as popular with me as the rubber tires. Seems in the Trumpeter in their earlier kits decided to use clear parts so the interior, in this case the engine area could be seen. For my money, I surely wish they would have also included gray molded plastic parts as well, as the clear plastic are more brittle and a bit more cumbersome to work with.

Step one was removing all the clear parts from the frets taking extra care not to snap the runners off at the part edge and cause a chip. Lots of the runner's were left and sanded then away as safely as I could.

The front portion of the cowling was glued up from three parts with a lot of sanding and polishing needed to remove the glue seam. The small lip under the intake scoop at the top required a fair amount of Tamiya filler and sanding.

The two remaining cowling parts will be glued up after the engine assembly has been permanently glued in place. The machine gun troughs also need to be aded at the same time and there is very little giggle room to play with.

Once I had the parts cleaned up, the cowling was test fitted around the Cyclone and the fit isn't bad at all but some tweaking was needed as the exhaust headers have to be centered on the cowl opening.

At this point zero air brush work, just sanding and polishing. Happy with how everything fit, I removed the cowl and the primed the interior portions of all four parts with MIG Light Gray Primer and then Model Air Green Zinc Chromate. Yup, again I reached into my bag of builders poetic license as to the interior color. Virtually none will be seen but what can be, I want to help 'pop' the cylinder heads.

From the photos, it's very apparent almost none of the work done in the engine area can be visible except the crankcase and the front of the cylinders. Even the rocker covers are hidden away, as well as all of the exhaust headers. I could have just assembled everything with out all the paint work but I just wanted to do my best and know everything inside was done correctly. Of course there are two other options I choose not to do: keep the cowling as a clear or removable. With my luck I would quickly break a crucial part or not be happy with the see through look at the end. I stayed the plan and kept on course.

Only the interior of the cowlings has been painted and while the exterior may look gray, that's just the inside primer showing through.

The .30 Cal MG is a nice small assembly and I've about finished it with a lot ODF detail painting and some dry brushing. I'll finish tinkering with it later on.

The Wings: all the main components of the wings are basically done and being cleaned up. I followed Andre's lead and cleaned out all the lightening holes in the flaps/dive brakes, which was a bit time consuming. Since I was only removing flash and not rilling new holes, I should be OK as per the rules.

The plastic is a bit soft and the rivets and panel lines are very shallow. I lost all that detail on the wing's leading edge when sanding out the seam. I used a Rosie the Riveter to restore them and going around the tight curve: oh what fun.

Next up:

Finishing up the cowling assembly and adding it to the fuselage as well as adding the lost rivet and panel lines to the fuselage.

I did a bit of experimenting with a light background but I'm still happier with the dark blue as the parts seem to pop a lot better.

Thank for checking in.

Peter

xJFtiS.jpg

XnJCK0.jpg

6ggzUG.jpg

kZTtRi.jpg

BrExCu.jpg[/url

]WU8u8l.jpg

4NrhjM.jpg[/u

RL]oaNWJj.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Looking nice Peter! :thumbsup:

With all the details they put in there, they thought that showing them through clear plastic would be a great idea. I don't know why they didn't do what they did with the Bf-109 in 1/24

that is offering a clear and a grey fuselage in the same box!

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Andre, much appreciated

It seems to be an easy way of showing off the interior details rather then removable panels. I suffered through he same when I built their F8F Bearcat years ago.

Looks as if the wings are going to need a bit of Evergreen strip to fill the small gap at the wing roots but other then that, general fit seems pretty, Too bad the rivets and panel lines are so shallow and with the soft plastic disappear with just a few strokes of the sanding sticks.

Peter

Peter just for my info, are you allowed to modify parts, thin air scoop or something like that in the OOB category?

For my part I think that the last OOB I did was a Spit from FROG in 1/72 gazillion years ago!

Keep up the good work!

Guest Peterpools

Andre

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I'm going to try and find out as a number of parts can use a bit of thinning and TLC

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Andre

I just downloaded the rules and the Box Stock category:

"....

Out-of-Box Category: Entries must have been built from a commercially available kit using the parts from the kit only. Seams may be filled, guns and pipes drilled out, rigging, antenna, simple tape or foil seatbelts are permitted, any edges may be thinned, but no other modifications may be made to the kit parts. Kit instructions must be displayed with all OOB entries. .."

Looks like I can clean up some of the edges but not much more, but now there is a lot more I can do. I am asuming if ther kit includes PE and you can use it. I'm sure this creates a problems

Peter

Mark, much appreciated

Enjoying the change of pace and quite agree in a way it's a trip back into the 70's for me; build what's in the box as there wasn't any real after market. Matter of fact, no PC's, no internet, no cellphones and ..

yes half the fun was the trip to the local hobby shop to actually buy a kit and a few bottles of Pactra paint. Back then I was a 72nd scale builder, the kit and paint and change for a five.

Peter

Peter i started building kits in the mid 70's

When i left school in the mid 80's i got a job in a toy and hobby shop and in a year i found myself running the model kit section. Ordering kits,paint etc....The best job i ever had.

Back then i really can't remember any AM.....I could be wrong? This is about the time Revell bought out the 1/32 Beaufighter and also the 1/32 Starfighter and i recall we had a choice of 50 kits of either one at a really special price so i said the Beaufighter as i knew it would go down a storm but my GM said no the Starfighter.....It went down like a lead balloon i think we sold about 4 kits!!

The only good thing was i got to build one for display for nothing!!

Mark 

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Great job for sure back in the day. I rediscovered the hobby about 8 years ago and was amazed at where the hobby had gone since I stopped building in the early 80"s.

Just a hint of AM back then and almost nothing else. I look at what I did in the 70's-80's - a different world back then. Not sure which was better but back in the day, the emphasis was on mainly building what was in the box, maybe adding simply masking tape belts but for the majority of us, that was about it. We concentrated on the basics and presentation.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Andre

When you're ready, go for it. I found building this way is a great mojo and just plan fun ... no stress and trying to work with what's in the box can be a bit challenging.

It's been a long time since I eagerly looked forward to bench time and now, there isn't enough time.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Damian, Thank you for the very kind words.

Plugging away on the wings and finishing up the engine cowl assembly as well. Hopefully the next update the SBD will begin to look like herself

Peter

Edited by Peterpools