Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Phil

So very much appreciated. Building a kit OOB is a load of fun and forces us to find new ways to high light the molded on details that normally we would either have removed and replaced or added to with AM.

I've been working on the P&W and needed to spend a lot more time with the air brush to highlight the details and add depth since I can't add ignition wires and anything Am we normally would.

But, I'm rolling along and as the saying goes, ' a rolling stone gathers no moss'I already have enough that have attached itself over the years

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks John

Thoroughly enjoying the SBD and building her Box Stock for the upcoming 2018 IPMS Noreastcon.

Getting ready for another update as the fuselage is finally glued together and the sandind supplies are ready.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 12/29/17: BUTTONING UP THE FUSELAGE & THE P&W R1820

Enjoying every minute of bench time with the SBD and that translates into continuous progress, something I've missed sorely this past year.

First up was getting all the sub assemblies to not only fit in place on one side of the fuselage but to finesse all the tabs to slide into place on the opposite side. It took some persuasion, some tinkering and pulling the fuselage halves apart a number of times before everything lined up reasonably well; not perfect but good enough to tape and started applying the Extra Thin. Any gaps that remained after the Extra Thin had dried for a good 24 hours, masking tape was removed,were filled with thin application of CCA - a bit of extra strength  and money in the bank.

The CCA was left to set up for a good twenty four hours and then the seams were carefully sanded and the lost rivet details will be restored. Restoring lost detail should be allowed as nothing new is being added or altered. Looking over the fuselage progress, I was a gashed to see how I missed the seam on the gunners upper framing. Cleaning this up would have been a snap before the fuselage was glued up and surely I have a knack of making an easy job as hard as possible. The gap was filled in with Tamiya White Filler, left to dry and sanded smooth. Then the hard part of priming and airbrushing the effected area with MRP Gloss Black, Alcad Aluminum and then sealed to match the original finish was a delicate operation. Two attempts from start to finish were needed before the repair was acceptable. Done and time to move on.

I was also very unhappy with my heavy handed dry brushing of the pilots head rest and that required a complete re-do as well. The headrest west stripped and repainted with Model Color Black Red, then a darker shade as a wash  was applied to the center of the headrest and when dry, a lighter wash of the basic Black Red on the edges for the highlights. Looks way better for sure.

Next up was the P&W R1820 radial which should have been built much earlier but since it isn't going to be installed for quite some time I left it until now. Trumpeter has to be congratulated on a job well done. The part fit and detail is excellent and I had to keep reminding myself not to add any details, not even the ignition tubing. My plan was to go a bit overboard on the finish and painting adding a bit more pizazz and interest. The cylinders were primed with MRP Gloss Black, then air brushed Alcad Gun Metal and finally given a pin wash with Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash to pop the details. Push Rods are MRP Gloss Black, the ignition ring finished in AK Aluminum and the crank case with Tamiya Neutral Gray.

I'm pretty sure almost nothing of the exhaust headers and intake pipes will be ever be seen after assembly but why not give them a go. My guiding theme for the build is aircraft of the Golden Age, between the Wars, were kept in nearly perfect condition as budget cuts and funding were at a low to say the least. Also being the Commader's Aircraft, this SBD would be spit-shined 24/7. So no rust or soot would be found anywhere. The exhausts went through my standard NMF treatment, then Tamiya Clear Orange and Blue were used to heat burn the exhaust plumbing and then a last minute very light over spray of Alcald Burnt Metal. I was amazed and happy with the results.

The rocker arm covers are labeled backwards in the instructions as the left is the right and the right is the left but once I figured that out, all was good. I was looking for a dull aluminum for the rocker covers and found just the ticket: Hataka Aluminum: smooth and oh so nice.

While I was at it, The firewall and the provided details were built and finished in a NMF using AK Aluminum and Dark Aluminum. Not going overboard here either as I'm also sure once the P&W is install and the cowling in place, none of this will be seen.

Up next :

Finish the basic fuselage

add the tail feathers,

Start working on the wings.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

rMyQBp.jpg

eCj3x3.jpg

qcrA6n.jpg

MRRiDd.jpg

oIxuOb.jpg

2KmuZ2.jpg

ciGnl9.jpg

The Single .30 cal MG is also underway. base color is on and now for the detail paining of the various parts.

4dXfNp.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv - you got me worried there. The SBD is certainly one row short of pistons when compared to the Big Corsair, Hellcats and Jug with the R2800. But of course, the plus side - half the work in building the engine!

Peter