Trumpeter MIG-15 Red Falcons....but a Blue Red Falcon- Done 3/1/18

Shawn M

There was also a long gone resin kit, which name escapes me, but someone is trying to sell on ebay for $200, and HpH makes a pretty accurate resin kit. 

I still think the Trumpy kit is not so bad, it does require some work, but there is enough AM out there to fix the accuracy issues. I may change my mind once I start working on it. 

Edited by 1to1scale

HPH's kit is fabulous, but out of my price range for a subject I have only a passing interest on.

I've really lost interest in this build, every step of the way its fighting me, phantom seams, scribing nightmares....

Im going to soldier on, knowing full well this will not be an example of a good build for me, it will never see the contest table and will "fly" from my wall in the model room only.

BUT

I am gonna get this ^#(&^@#$% done

Shawn, if you are having issues with phantom lines, try primering the whole thing using a good primer like Mr Surfacer or Stynylrez, they have self leveling properties and fill some scratches. After it dries, look for issues and fill them over the primer, then do some spot priming. I am having some issues with the Hobbycraft plastic (not acting like styrene), so I'm going to prime it tonight (Stynylrez) and go from there.

Edited by 1to1scale

Once I decided to accept the seams on the fuse and move on, I got the wings added, which fit better then expected requiring almost no filler.

But

There is always a but.

The wing thickness at the root doesn't math the fillet thickness at the fuse, being way undersize, which leaves a step from the fuse to the bottom of the wing.

A lotta filing, some scraping with a curved x-acto blade and some sanding made an acceptable joint and I should have both sides completed tonight.

I have more anehedral then I want, but oh well its at least even!

I've got pics on the camera and will upload and post this evening.

Fight on!   Recently I know all too well about a good fight on your hands..............

Some great work going on here. Dont give up the fight yet!   I know its a demanding build for sure.  Knowing how much MORE of a fight things are when you dont have passion for the airframe, and just a passing interest, it makes it seem just that much more of a fight. 

Guest Peterpools

Shawn

some very nice progress for sure and right with you and nothing like the fight of those early Trumpeter kits. Fit issues everywhere test of a modelers ability at filling seams and scribing - Oh what joy!

Looking mighty good and in the end, the Mig will be across the line and on the display shelf.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Once I decided to accept the seams on the fuse and move on, I got the wings added, which fit better then expected requiring almost no filler.

But

There is always a but.

The wing thickness at the root doesn't math the fillet thickness at the fuse, being way undersize, which leaves a step from the fuse to the bottom of the wing.

A lotta filing, some scraping with a curved x-acto blade and some sanding made an acceptable joint and I should have both sides completed tonight.

I have more anehedral then I want, but oh well its at least even!

I've got pics on the camera and will upload and post this evening.

Yup, primer always helps. I did the same and found issues on my P-51 that I ddint see before, more filler...