Bf110F/G in the future?

BJW

I'm not sure that I agree Tamiya releases the least popular version first. They released the F-4C/D, F-15E, Spit IXc, and F-16CJ first and I wouldn't consider them notably less popular than subsequent releases. In fact, I'd suggest that the Spit IXc is more popular than the last Spit XVI, the F-16CJ more popular than the Thunderbirds Block 32, and the F-15E more popular than the single seaters. The F-4s are a matter of personal taste, although I'd expect the -J is slightly more popular than the two AF versions. Then there is the Mossie. Is the gun nose Mk. VI less popular than a glass nose Mk. IV, assuming that's the next release (although the HK release may have affected which came first).

I'd also disagree that the F4U-1 is the least popular, but again that's personal taste.

Finally, I'm not sure Dragon ever had any plans to release a 110F or G. I think the only version most people are interested in is the G-4 nightfighter. Yes, there are other versions like the G-2 and the F, but I don't think they would be big sellers. So essentially, they would be making most of their money off a G-4 night fighter boxing. Would the G-4 sell more than the C/D/E versions? Hard to say. We may never know.

Also, I think Dragon was looking at the 110 being a companion to their 109E series, so they may have been going for an early war/BoB era vibe.

Edited by Dave Williams

Dragon released the C-variant first, and it has the "best" marking option (the killer bees). That seems pretty smart to me.

Agreed Bill, a smart move so perhaps it's the graphic markings which make the early 110s an attractive proposition. Operationally in the main European threatre of war the Bf110, as we all know, was considered a failure like perhaps the Fairey Battle was at the same time, yet we're never ever going to see a large scale model of a Battle. The G versions of the 110, especially the G4s saw them in their perfect and ultimately successful role, yet operational efficiency alone doesn't appeal it seems to model companies.

Max

... Operationally in the main European threatre of war the Bf110, as we all know, was considered a failure like perhaps the Fairey Battle was at the same time ...

... yet we're never ever going to see a large scale model of a Battle.

... The G versions of the 110, especially the G4s saw them in their perfect and ultimately successful role ...

Max ... some interesting points you make there!

I would say that that the Bf.110C-E was not really considered a failure in and of itself.

It was designed as a multirole A/C ... none of those roles, incidentally, was as an interceptor/fighter-on-fighter dogfighting role.

Unfortunately ... the A/C was made infamous as a "slug" during the BoB when a large number were shot down between 15 Aug and 17 Aug ... by Hurricanes and Spitfires.

Its main advantages were top end speed, heavy armament and ordinance capabilities ... and a much longer operational range than the fighters.

Once it was put to use in roles that utilised these advantages - instead of roles that it was never intended to fulfil - It performed quite well.

At low level, against ground based targets, on the eastern front it was particularly nasty. Against flights of bombers (daytime - early war) it was also very effective - packing more of a punch than the Bf.109's. It also performed admirably in an anti-shipping/reconnaissance role.

As far as the 'Battle' is concerned ... The A/C was pretty much redundant for it's role by the time the war started, unfortunately.

But, as far as a kit is concerned ... never say never! ... I still hold out hope for a Boulton Paul Defiant in '32 some day!

By the time that the Bf.110G entered service ... Bomber intercept missions (daytime) and night fighter operations were about the only roles left that it was suited for.

The fact that the A/C remained relevant for so long is testimony to it's design adaptability.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Thanks for all the input, It least I know I'M NOT the only soul pining for one....I mean how many more Mustangs or 109's do we have to endure?

Not that I don't have 10-12 of THOSE in my stash right now!