Mr. Paint / MRP Paints?

Out2gtcha

I am also a fully signed up member of the MRP (Mr Paint) fan club. 

I see the mention of cost and one person said it was 400% more expensive than Mr Colour.

I do not know the US cost but in the UK a 10ml Mr Colour pot is £2 from my usual on-line store.

The 30ml MRP paint is £4.99 a pot (with discounts for larger orders)

At the full price Mr Colour is £2 per 10ml

MRP Paint is £1.67 per 10ml.

So MRP is cheaper.

But - of course MRP does not need thinning, now as I do not use Mr Colour I am not certain of the thinning ratio but assuming 50:50 the calculation using Mr Levelling Thinner costing £10.95 per 400mls - 30mls being £0.82.  

Consequently thinned it works out at £1.41 per 30mls of airbrush ready Mr Colour paint compared to £1.67 of MRP, so MRP on that basis is 18% more expensive to use....  Given how good this paint is I consider that well worth it.

Building LSP's the 30ml bottles are also a lot more practical than the small pots!!!!

Thats my inner rivet counter coming out.....!!!!!!!!!

Good analogy Barry!    I never thought of it like that, but yes, the Mr. Color bottles around here are $3.70 a bottle, and the Mr Leveling thinner I use is around $13 USD or so, so calculating a 50/50 mix Im not really that much more for MRP paints than I am for Mr Color stuff.

The only disadvantage I can see is the lack of ability to brush paint with these. Other than that, they are a dream come true. 

I suspect that EU users can get MRP much cheaper than we can in the USA, and Mr Color is also more expensive in the EU. In my last shipments of paints from various sources just in the last month, I paid $3 a bottle for MR Color (shipping including) and $9 a bottle (shipping included) for MRP. The extra 100% (a subjective guess) comes from the fact that Mr Color covers slightly better than MRP and I actually use less paint volume per model. Since Mr Color is much thicker than MRP and must be thinned, the 10ml bottles of Mr Color are roughly equivalent to the 30ml bottles of MRP. I use Mr Color Leveling Thinner and that adds about 40 cents a bottle of thinner costs to Mr Color (shipped costs for MR Color Leveling Thinner is about 4 cents per ml). Hence, for me in the USA, MRP is about 400% more expensive. MRP is fantastic paint (but so is Mr Color), but about a 400% increase in costs means I won't be switching over exclusively to MRP. 

Edited by modelingbob

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Have you contacted Matt at Hobby World? I'm sure he ships to Canada. I guessing shipping might be an issue but I have no idea

Peter

There aren't any Canadian distributers for it at the moment so it's a non starter here price notwithstanding.

Carl

You can order them directly from MRP in Slovakia, which I've done before, but the all-up price for me jumped to around $16 per bottle.

Kev

Carl

Have you contacted Matt at Hobby World? I'm sure he ships to Canada. I guessing shipping might be an issue but I have no idea

Peter

Peter, most places in the US won't ship paint to Canada especially if it's lacquer but I'll ask and see.

Carl

Brian, Peter, Dennis, Kev, Bob et al.

Enjoying the discussion gents, esp the pricing comparisons and evaluations.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm TRYING to get into MRP, but right now the cost is holding me back and the fact that I recently jumped in Vallejo and only even more recently got that sorted to where I can fairly reliably shoot it.  

Fumes is also an issue for me with my current set-up. I can vent outdoors pretty easily not evacuation airflow may not be as much as I need to get proper ventilation.

But will be keeping a 'weathered eye' on the ongoing discussion.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

I still shoot both paints: MRP and Model Air. I can shoot Model Air with very little issues of smell and if need be, I have a respirator to wear. I also love shooting MRP paints but found that I need both the respirator and the spray booth running. Lacquers just have a strong smell and by using the spray booth, I keep peace in the house. I've never been able to walk into a beauty parlor because of the smell from the chemicals and sprays, so certain smells and odors bother me more then others. .

I would never think of going 100% MRP or 100% Model Air or with some of the other acrylics I use on a regular basis. I tend to use what I think will work best. :innocent:

Peter

If fumes are an issue, I'd stay away from MRP and Mr Color paints. They are pretty stinky. I airbrush in my open garage and wear a respirator. I would not recommend airbrushing these paints inside the house unless you have an evacuation fan set up and wear a respirator. 

<<<Fumes is also an issue for me with my current set-up. I can vent outdoors pretty easily not evacuation airflow may not be as much as I need to get proper ventilation..>>>

Yeah for sure. They are definitely not the worst, or most powerful smelling cellulose based stuff I've used, but they definitely still stink. Even the MM line of enamels stinks a bit, and its all compounded if you dont have venting and/or a spray booth.

Guest Peterpools

Mike

Couldn't get more confusing. Back in the day, paints were enamels and we never gave it a thought. Today, it's like reading the labels on every item in a grocery store before deciding whether or not to but it. By the time I finish reading the label. I normally just put the box back.

Just to add a skull and crossbones to the label  :wicked:

Peter