1/32 Revell МиГ-29 Fulcrum, BN '89' Red, Polish Air Force

r0t0rdr1ver

this is a mastercall, id be petrified to do this

Thanks very much. I'm definitely no master, but it goes to show the amount of research, work and dedication that Chris (Zactoman) put into this correction set. Everything fits quite nicely. The panel lines on his parts even line up perfectly with the rest of the kit..not even off a millimetre. You just need to make that first cut, take your time, and check everything....and recheck...and check again. :)

If you want to see some real 'Mig Masters', check out the Mig-29 builds by Karl, Martin and Nigel!

Edited by r0t0rdr1ver

This is an inspiring build!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom!

I got a little more bench time and managed to get the rest of the Zacto engine trunking where it needs to be and all glued together. The upper fuselage half has been trimmed to fit, and everything seems to be going fairly smoothly up to this point. I'll post a few pics once everything has cured overnight and I can remove the clamps. I started with what I thought would be the hardest part of the correction, and I'm glad it's done. I figured there was no point doing the minor work first only to have the intakes and engine trunking go south on me.

Again, I'm really impressed with the resin parts so far, everything fits with only very minor trimming and sanding.

Next up will be fitting the intakes and addressing the LERX issue. Not sure how I'm going to do that yet, but there are lots of great builds right here on LSP to help me out. Definitely some clever solutions to be found.

This is very courageous work! All that cutting scares me! I have the same sets of upgrades from Zactoman, so I'll be following your progress on this one. You're moving fast!

I also have the new Trumpeter kit put aside at a shop in Toronto, and I'll pick that up shortly. I'm not quite sure I'll go ahead with the Revell/Zactoman combo, but I could change my mind.

No.89, with Boleslaw Drobinski on the tail would be an excellent choice, but you're right, no decals exist yet. I think Techmod might be doing some based on the MiG 29 Polish Air Force Commemorative Schemes book from Stratus Publishing. Maybe now that the Trumpeter kit is out they'll hurry up and release it.

The one thing to be careful of is the upgrades to the cockpit/electronics and assorted NATO equipment that was added during overhauls. You've got the Kagero Topshots book which is a good reference. I once had a website bookmarked that had all the changes listed and illustrated. I'll see if I can find it again and post it for you.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

very nice! how are you going to correct the LERX?

Hi Karl, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a page out of your build and make the cut along the fuselage as you and your friend did to correct that issue. If you have any guidance for me, please let me know. I've been studying your build quite closely. How does this affect the overall dimensions of the fuselage? I've seen one build where the fuselage sides and LERX were sanded to shape using templates cut to check cross-sections, and I've seen a few builds using the method you used. I don't have enough reference material to make a good judgement call.

Beautiful work!! Making cuts like that takes courage!!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alain, much more cutting ahead. The more I research other builds, the more I realize how much actually needs to be corrected on the Revell kit. In the end I think I will make a compromise and correct what I can. I'm still having fun at this point, and don't want to shelve another build because I got bored or frustrated. There are a few things that I won't be able to correct, as I didn't realize they needed correcting until I was too far into the build (i.e. the curvature between the engine nacelles). I plan on kit-bashing Trumpeter wheel wells and correcting the spine and engine area on the upper fuselage also.

This is very courageous work! All that cutting scares me! I have the same sets of upgrades from Zactoman, so I'll be following your progress on this one. You're moving fast!

I also have the new Trumpeter kit put aside at a shop in Toronto, and I'll pick that up shortly. I'm not quite sure I'll go ahead with the Revell/Zactoman combo, but I could change my mind.

No.89, with Boleslaw Drobinski on the tail would be an excellent choice, but you're right, no decals exist yet. I think Techmod might be doing some based on the MiG 29 Polish Air Force Commemorative Schemes book from Stratus Publishing. Maybe now that the Trumpeter kit is out they'll hurry up and release it.

The one thing to be careful of is the upgrades to the cockpit/electronics and assorted NATO equipment that was added during overhauls. You've got the Kagero Topshots book which is a good reference. I once had a website bookmarked that had all the changes listed and illustrated. I'll see if I can find it again and post it for you.

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for following along. Motivation is high, and there's something quite liberating in making all those cuts! I like a challenge, and pushing my modeling abilities a little. This build is a perfect opportunity for me to experiment and learn new techniques without being the 'guinea pig' so to speak. Being able to reference other builds and knowing others have done it lowers the fear factor for me. Sometimes it works, and sometimes kits get put back in their boxes, but it's always fun.

I too am excited with the release of the Trumpeter Mig-29A, and can't wait for the UB to be released also. I wasn't aware that Techmod was doing a new sheet based on Commemorative Schemes, that's good news! I wonder if they will do Bolesław Drobiński on that sheet.

If you can find that website for me Richard, I would really appreciate it. I'm aware of a number of changes, but it would be good to confirm this with a reliable source. Thank you!

with the method i used there is no disortion of the fuselage. i just pushed the inner part of the lerx down and filled the gap. the outer edge does not really move out, and if it does there is enough material to sand it in shape. i remember there was a lot of headscratching involved, but correcting the wheelwels was a lot more difficult....

with the method i used there is no disortion of the fuselage. i just pushed the inner part of the lerx down and filled the gap. the outer edge does not really move out, and if it does there is enough material to sand it in shape. i remember there was a lot of headscratching involved, but correcting the wheelwels was a lot more difficult....

Thanks Karl, I think I know what you mean. It's next on my to do list. I just need to study the photos in your thread a bit more to determine exactly where to mark up the kit and make the cuts. Stay tuned...

unfortunately, thanx to fuckbucket all my pics of the mig 29 thread after page 19 are not visible anymore :angry2:

i do still have all of the pics on a CD (and lots of reference on the 29 as digital files too), so if you want i can send them to you via wetransfer.

let me know