WnW AEG G.IV sharkmouth / Finito!

karimb

not a thing, it says you pasted an incorrect link...............

Strange because even the ones I posted yesterday that were fine are giving me the same error. Strange. Any suggestions?

not a thing, it says you pasted an incorrect link...............

I guess I'll have to look into it tomorrow when i get up. Might be the fever playing tricks on me :'(

I see every single one. Odd

maybe I'm "Special".

You sure are Ernie ;-)

Kev i just can't see any of the photos from the beginning of the post. Very strange. I was actually browsing through some hosting options and server rentals online to avoid pb's touch and go performance...

Edited by karimb

Okay guys just started feeling a bit better. Went in to get the workbench ready, silhouette is plotting the masks as we speak. There are two small seams that have appeared on the bottom of the fuselage so i will get rid of those and get started with painting this afternoon. Update tonight!

Till then

K

Im seeing them all myself as well.

Looking absolutely STUNNING Karim!   I love when we get to utilize the cutters in this manor. This is going to be a real show stopper when done!

Brian

thanks my friend for the comment... the plotters have so many possible uses it's really a jack of all trades...thanks for checking on the build!

Good evening guys...

happy to be back at the bench today... didn't get to spend as much time as i wanted working on the AEG today but still i got a solid couple of hours in the afternoon tending to her before my fever went up again...this throat infection is a real pain in the ***...

Ever since our last proper update i had closed up the fuselage and started the painting. At that stage i was still not sure wether i was going to be using the wingnut wings provided decal kits so i painted the fuselage along when i painted the nose blue green, but in a manner whereby i just covered the fuselage enough for the glosscoat to grab on to before the decaling. packed everything and went back home on a stretch of off days. While home i scratched my head and got in touch with a friend and after our correspondence got to the conclusion that the Aviattic decals in my opinion would be a suitable candidate to replace the kit decals. Since the Aviattic night lozs are printed on clear decal paper and not the white backed paper the 'to do' list today included repainting the fuselage with the preshading and shadow/highlight on the fuselage.

Started the day off firing up the Silhouette plotter, got my masks cut on Oramask 810 and was ready to roll...

i was very happy with the outcome of the sharkmouth mask and used frisket film to transfer the small separate details along with the whole mask after which i burnished the vinyl. The color i used for the sharkmouth was white with a couple of drops of buff added to give it that offwhite color and i opted not to paint the interior of the mouth in red as it would look quite stark in my opinion. I thought of doing highlights on the sharkmouth with the airbrush as the colored version of it on the wnw decal sheet had stroke of blue on the top of the mouth but also decided against it at the end. The bottom chin was also a mask, but on the actual photos of the aircraft it looks like you can clearly see the brush strokes, it looks like a goatee and this would be impossible to replicate on the silhouette, and even harder to transfer as a mask so i first airbrushed worn paint acrylic chipping medium on the mask area then the white mix and then chipped the area in long strokes. The results are not the same as in the photos but at least i dont have a solid slab of white, so at the end i am quite happy with the result...

On to the fuselage, i masked the turtledeck and the forward section of the fuselage and went ahead with some rib masking. On the mask sheet i had plotted, i had cut long strips of 1, 1.5 and 2 mm and put them to use. The top part of the fuselage behind the turtledeck was plywood so i figured the metal frame wouldn't cast a shadow or show through the fabric, the sides are a different story from what i understand. I will post a photo of what i mean along with the masking. I used initially buff to cover the area then highlighted the top part of the fuselage with white, the center of the side panels with white and left the bottom in buff. I then blended everything in with a very thinned mix of buff. After that i shaded the 'framework' with and earth brown tone, moreso on the bottom and around the back of the fuselage around the tail section. Work done!

Next step would be to gloss the fuselage in preparation for the decals that should arrive this week...

Tomorrow i will take a proper photo session before glossing up the fuselage and putting it away to dry clear of dust, and i will start the beautiful journey on the engines, with all the Taurus models addons, and some scratch additions here and there... i always look forward to building wnw engines and this is kit is not exception, i even get two of them!

I apologize for the quality of the photos as they are below par compared to my previous posts, as i have used the iphone for those and was just too tired to bring out the lightbox and the camera and do a complete setup. i will tomorrow along with wherever i get working on the engines...

Till tomorrow guys,

thanks for checking in!

Karim

PS: I have mistakenly deleted the photo that showed the fuselage framing of the AEG and will make sure to include it in tomorrow's post. sorry!

Smugmug gallery 

PART 5

Edited by karimb