Bf109 thread. Hints and tips. Contributions welcome.

mpk

I've seen them. Sadly it's that E3 thing again.

I think I have a set. 

The Slovakian Air Force was operating E-4s as late as 1943, not sure about decal availability though.  Spain may have had some E-4s too, not exactly sure though, that's probably about it  The G was more widely exported than the Emil.

Edited by Mikester

The Slovakian Air Force was operating E-4s as late as 1943, not sure about decal availability though.  Spain may have had some E-4s too, not exactly sure though, that's probably about it  The G was more widely exported than the Emil.

Oh okay. Perha[ps I'll just look around and if I find something I'll fashion my own masks.

I use these photo's from the book below. It helps when I use an item such as an Airscale cockpit set. Great book.

20170331_151100_zpsarl5thgh.jpg

20170331_151150_zpsbticwjrg.jpg

20170331_151236_zpsthailzjd.jpg

20170331_151332_zps7ecxamoy.jpg

One major thing to note is that the oxygen regulator is NOT painted blue.  I've seen people paint the whole thing, as well as all the piping going to and from it blue.  I never say never, but someone is going to have to show me period color photos to prove to me that that ever happened.

I have done this. However, when last I did paint one, it was black. :)

I put a small Airscale placard on it and boomfa! It comes up a treat.

The blue does look nice though... :)

My Victory models large Bf 109 in Swiss markings sheet, shows that the Swiss altered the cockpit in some ways. The most obvious being the joystick handle. It shows a British styles grip, E.G. Spitfire, Hurricane etc. This is on the E3.

Does anyone know if this style continued on later marks, such as the F and G?

I was considering using a spare Spitfire version. Would this pass muster?

Here it is. On the larger shot you will see additional changes to be made. I must say it's a great set. 

20170401_072319_zps96lcupac.jpg

The G6 I am working on part time is J 705. The Victory models sheet suggests the later "Galland style" hood. However I also have the corresponding Kora decals sheet which shows the older style hood. Which would be the correct choice? The spinner colours differs as well.

20170401_074222_zpsimuvtlcl.jpg

The sheet itself is quite something offering many examples from which to choose.

20170401_074356_zps6lrcxzht.jpg

20170401_074550_zpswbkzarfl.jpg

f718deee-7550-42d7-929e-ca5bdf865370_zps

Here is a photo from a recent Ebay auction, it looks to be original, but I can't vouch for its authenticity... 

O2_regulator.jpg

Ha! It just goes to show. One never really be sure. :)

I don't think the Swiss Gustavs had the spade grip.  I have the Hoch book, and I did the Victory decal art, and I'm about 98% sure I'm right on that.  The Emils had them for sure though.  The Swiss hated the Gs.  Pieces of garbage compared to their Es.

You did that? Great work! I love it and look at it a lot!

Mate do you know the story with the canopy for the G I mentioned above? Yours is the Galland hood. Kora the bird cage. I was going to go by the Victory art. Am I making the correct choice?

So funny I'm building a crate the Swiss hated. :D

Maybe I should put it in some markings from an aeroplane used by Finland???  :hmmm:

Thanks again. Dale.

:goodjob:

:popcorn:

Swiss Emil with KG-11 spade thingie :)

Martin the Marvel. Like Ivan the Terrible. Only better. :) 

Thanks so much. :)  :goodjob:

As this is an all inclusive thread for the 109, I was wondering if anyone objected to having a link, such as that provided 

on a work as yet incomplete! to having their builds, both complete and WIP threads such as this, added?

A great thread showing the Trumpeter 109 K4 in 1/24th scale. Warts sinkholes and all.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=46850&page=1

Brian, would you mind?

"Bwian you say?"

'No, no, Kevin.'

giphy.gif

'Arghhh!'

Sorry, Kevin.

Kevin, is this okay? Your thread is a great look at this kit.

I just re-read it. It's like a slow motion film. :)

Guys, would you mind? Anyone objecting will be thwone to the wild wabbit animals within a week. ;)

Personally, I spend loads of time searching for these threads. It'd be nice to have it a bit easier. 

:innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent: 

Edited by mpk

J-705, W. Nr. 163248, previously RQ+BL was acquired May 26, 1944 along with eleven other machines (J-701 through J-712).

J-705 was involved in a forced landing incident due to failure of a fuel seal and was photographed at that time.  This aircraft was withdrawn from Swiss service on August 9, 1947.   

Swiss_J-705-mod.jpg

J-705, W. Nr. 163248, previously RQ+BL was acquired May 26, 1944 along with eleven other machines (J-701 through J-712).

J-705 was involved in a forced landing incident due to failure of a fuel seal and was photographed at that time.  This aircraft was withdrawn from Swiss service on August 9, 1947.   

Wow! Thanks mate.  :goodjob:

That's a great example of the value of the members of this site.

If only life in the real world worked like this.

Hang on, I'll check.

Closes eyes and wishes I'd like a million bucks right now.

Opens eyes.

Nothing. :(

See what I mean? ;)

So it looks like a birdcage and a one colour spinner. 

Great picture, thanks for sharing. :)

Isn't it ever!

Martin, I think you may have some competition.

Perhaps.....

You'd better get on that?  :innocent:

:P

;)

Edited by mpk

The Swiss Gustavs were delivered with the standard canopy and small rudder, and had the Galland hood and tall fin/rudder retrofitted while in service. Kora decals are uniformly awful. Good for exactly nothing in my experience. Poorly researched and even more poorly produced. I spent a lot of time on the Victory sheet, and I'm pretty well satisfied with what it contains.

You need to get another model and do a Finnish one!

He he, I have 3 G6's. ;) (2 G2's currently being built, a Romanian and a Finnish example)

Oh so yours is the aeroplane possibly earlier in it's career? 

I'm just curious. It's not a fault of your work, which is awesome. :)

You posted the same link twice.

Er, I just changed my "insane" signature.

I'll edit the original.