35 Yr Old Monogram Z to SS Camaro-PROJECT COMPLETED-07/20

mustang1989

No way those are the same scale... holy crap !... Time to do research, get the sizes right and go with whats closest. BTW.. picked up that liquid chrome pen... OMG I'm in love !! Might even have to build a car to do chrome trim !!... naa.. got a better idea !! :evil_laugh:

:popcorn:

Vaughn

No way those are the same scale... holy crap !... Time to do research, get the sizes right and go with whats closest. BTW.. picked up that liquid chrome pen... OMG I'm in love !! Might even have to build a car to do chrome trim !!... naa.. got a better idea !! :evil_laugh:

:popcorn:

Vaughn

I have quite a few car models to eventually get to, and this does indeed seem like a great item to add to the old tool bucket.

What I was getting at was that I didn't realize the size difference between the two scales.

It becomes REALLY obvious the moment you try to use 1/25 accessories on a 1/24 build. 

On that note, always be leery of any aftermarket accessories (decals, parts, anything) claiming to be both 1/25 and 1/24. Unless a specific kit is stated, such things are almost always 1/25 scale and will not fit properly on a 1/24 model.

D

• 1 month later...

Ok fellas, after some serious boo boo's with the initial paint job I stripped everything back off and reprimed/ repainted and now.....I've got COLOR!!! I ended up applying another coat of primer and smoothed all the imperfections out (a couple of freekin' dog hairs and some dust particles) and dispensed the paint into a paint jar and shot it through my airbrush. I had ALOT better results this time around fellas, however this paint does not play well with the air brush. Even after thinning the heck out of it I had difficulty in getting a uniform spray pattern to come out. I can't complaint too much as I'll be able to make this work out good in the end. These pics were taken after the results from my Badger 200. After these I decided to break out the much simpler Badger 350 and had a lot better luck with the pattern and a more consistent coat. I'm really going to be very happy with this color on this car is all I've gotta say:

002_zpsfgaewvtp.jpg

001_zpsmyjgj1vk.jpg

Engine is still coming along. Resin Holley test fitted onto the motor complete with throttle shaft and throttle lever.

001_zps2eickje6.jpg

I don't recall if you said or not, but is this the Testors lacquer you airbrushed? I've tried the Testors through my own airbrush, and didn't care for the result at all, but I expect that a much larger air/paint tip and lower than normal pressure would yield better results. I still like what I can achieve straight out of the can though.

Hey there Kevin. The base color isn't Testors. This is automotive paint but you'll be seeing the results on down the line with me airbrushing Testors Wet Look Gloss Lacquer on with surprisingly good results. Just had to dispense it out and wait for it to air out to get all the bubbles out of the paint and shoot it through an external mix airbrush which in my case was a Badger 350. I don't know if this will hold true for you in the future with automotive building but for me the more I sprayed from a can the less l enjoyed the results, especially when I got my technique down with the AB. There's just so much more control and ALOT less likelihood of a run in the paint. I do like the quality of some of the gloss clears as well as colors in cans which is why I dispense a lot and shoot it through the AB.

Edited by mustang1989