F-104 questions about low level flying

mark31

Hello i have two F-104s in the stasch one will be in Belgium colors

The other one will be a German marine flieger

Now i whant to built that one in flight and whas thinking to make a base when he is at low level flying to attack a schip(training)

Now how low will the go over the sea with good wheater?

Are we talking over 100 feet maybe less?

Anny tips of idees are welcome

I have seen pics from other F-104 low level above land in the good old days at maybe 30 feet

Thanks Mark

I have seen pics from other F-104 low level above land in the good old days at maybe 30 feet

Thanks Mark

Mark, i think you might be mistaken by that number "30", either it being feet or meters, because the F104 didn't have terrain following radar (like the Tornado) and it would have been very tricky to exercise such a low level flight, but maybe it would have gone down on the deck in wartime, but surely not in peace time.

What the picture you saw probably showed was a practise bombing run-in on a shooting range....(like the "Pampa" range near Kleine Brogel)

Edited by Jack

Low level attack runs in the 104 were done visually at 100 feet AGL and at speeds up to 600 kn. Low level evasive maneuvers could increase speeds to supersonic.[13]

Well i stand corrected, that could explain the "30", so in metres then, you were right Mark!!

Guest Airfixer

If my mind serves me well...

Standard Marineflieger F-104G low-level profile (over sea):

200 ft/day, 500 ft/night, crusising speed 450 knots, maximum 540 knots.

Turns at 60° bank (minimum).

Minimum as per Mil AIP:

100 ft (cross sea, horizont visible, radar-/radio altimeter ON), 450-540 knots

During peacetime operations, 100 ft would have been the absolute minimum.

Marineflieger F-104 would have been normally equipped with sea-skimming Kormoran 1 or Kormoran 2 missiles.

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Clunkmeister

Canadian 104s had tactical nuke taskings. How the heck do you drop nuclear weapons at low level? It seems like it would be a suicide mission.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Canadian 104s had tactical nuke taskings. How the heck do you drop nuclear weapons at low level? It seems like it would be a suicide mission.

Laydown delivery with parachute retarded weapons. Or go in low level, pull up to toss/loft the weapon towards the target. When the CF-104 went to the conventional role, low level was still the way to go. 

Jari