Airscale comments and question

Shoggz

I suffered a bit of a set-back the other night with one of my current builds - the Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IX.

The decal that you place on the back of the clear part of the instrument panel decided it was going to disintegrate into a 100 pieces. :(

My plan to get over this hurdle was to order a pack of Peter Airscale's 1/32 scale WW2 RAF Instrument Dial Decals to attempt to DIY the instrument panel.

Firstly, I have to say - top service sir! Ordered (late) Thursday evening and arrived this morning - good stuff. :)

Secondly, having seen some of the stellar efforts made on builds of the Spitfire on this site, what advice would you give with regards to applying them?

My first inclination is to simply place them on the raised 'circles' on the front of the clear portion of the instrument panel, rather than the back like Tamiya's.

Is this the best option or is there a better way?!

Hi Richard,

Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about Peter and Airscale. If only everything in life was as good.

Now, onto your questions. You will definitely need to apply these to the front of the clear part rather than the rear. The Airscale decals are printed in the conventional way, the Tamiya IP decals are printed in reverse with the print on the adhesive side of the decal.

Ideally, you would punch each instrument decal out of the whole sheet and apply them individually. Some cross-referencing may be necessary because I think Peter might include a number of different styles of some instruments.

Also, be aware that these are sized generically so may not fit exactly to the Tamiya dials.

If you were building an IP from scratch you would use the etched bezels on top of the decal and punch out a circle of clear acetate for the glass.

My experience of the way these Airscale decals behave is very positive. When they have cured a drop of your favourite clear gloss (Future or the like) will create the illusion of glass.

HTH

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks for your suggestions fellers! Most appreciated.

Lady Luck seems to have a downer on this project currently. The transparent part pinged off the bench and promptly disappeared into the carpet monster continuum. :(

I suppose, looking on the bright side, at least I won't prevaricate over my options now as I have none! I shall have to mount them on the supplied clear glazing and pop the photo-etched frame over the top.

I haven't used any of the Airscale range yet, but I certainly will. I was lucky to receive all of Peter's 32nd scale stuff in the Christmas raffle and he is a true gentleman for putting this up for a prize. I'm very grateful! It's amazing the level of detail and precision. Thanks again Peter.

Chuck

I've used bits and pieces of it in every successful build so far. I have to admit that when I first got  the decals -- I was bit underwhelmed. But once in place, they look far more realistic than what comes with most kits. Tamiya's is a bit too perfect that they look toyish to me. Other kit's looks too simple. Airscale, looks perfect in 1/48,1/32!

R9Jvra8.jpg

Richard, let me know which part it is you lost. I have a bunch of Spitfire spares and can send you one.

Same thing goes for the IP decal that shattered.

Carl

That's really generous - thank you Carl.

I'll check the instructions, get the numbers and PM you later.

Thank you. :)