Matchbox 1/32nd scale Tiger Moth

GuildAero

I am sure I have that Scale Models article somewhere..... There was a lovely build of one of these kits at the show at the Helicopter Museum at Locking a month or so ago. I think it was one of the Torbay lads. Really nice build indeed!

Edited by wunwinglow

Couldn't wait for paint to turn up (I can get that in one way or another), so glued the fuse together.  The particular aircraft I'm doing has the anti-spin strakes, so glued them on, but they don't look right and will need some Milliput slarred on to correct.  There should be an aluminium edge with rivets all round them, so that will be incorporated.

001_zpsq6uxennt.jpg

Made the cowling sides in ally too and then rivet detailed them where the piano hinge is affixed.

The rivets are made on this tool, which I was lucky to find at a Sunday market for a princely 2 pounds!  The old guy, who normally knows exactly what to charge for really very ordinary tools had no clue what this was for, but I knew immediately.  It is beautifully made and finished, yet seems to be a one-off as I cannot find it's brother anywhere.  I have made alternative punches and dies for it to increase its range and usefulness. Those in the machine in the picture are for making the clip bases on the bttom of the cowling sides.

003_zpsskwbsw5p.jpg

Now, I really must get on with some proper jobs!

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by GuildAero

Just bought a tin of Humbrol cockpit green No. 78, but it looks woefully dull...more like a sh** brown, so I bought a tin of "pastel Green", which looks fine on the colour chart but requires sunglasses to look upon the lid.  I'm now orff to mix the twain in the hope i can get somewhere with these.  I have a Vallejo somewhere.  But, hey, I just moved house. I have a back bedroom full of boxes. Guess what I'm doing at the weekend!

I could have gone to the Vallejo shop where the Milliput is cheaper, but that's at least 3 quid's worth of petrol away and I'm as tight as a duck's erm....bottom.

Cheers,

Martin

I'll follow this thread with some interest as I have the Revell version of the kit that I've been converting to a Queen Bee but I've become stuck on the layout for the struts for the floats as, from the photos I've seen, they are a different layout from the civilian float version parts that are included in the kit. I hadn't realised about the lower wing problems but it's a bit late now.

October 1980 issue Scale Models International. Has a Heyford on the front. Multi page article on detailing the matchbox kit and a cutaway of the real thing. I can scan it if anyone wants a copy.

I'd love a copy Tim. How to proceed ? PM you my email ?

Hubert

Thanks, John.  Lovely pics.

Turns out the cockpit green is almost indistinguishable from the colour of the old Matchbox plastic!  And you can see so little of the cockpits anyway it hardly matters.  Done now, just need to add some details.

Martin

I'll follow this thread with some interest as I have the Revell version of the kit that I've been converting to a Queen Bee but I've become stuck on the layout for the struts for the floats as, from the photos I've seen, they are a different layout from the civilian float version parts that are included in the kit. I hadn't realised about the lower wing problems but it's a bit late now.

I have a feeling that the float layout is covered in Moths, Majors and Minors, I'll have a look..

John

Edit, yes there is a small drawing which I've scanned. If you want to PM me.

John

Guest The Southern Bandit

Guys, just looking on the Bay again and a couple of 1/32 Tiger Moths, one by Matchbox and one by Revell, are they basically the same kit?

I know I want one now, but unsure of the finish, yellow looks good but I find that hard to spray for some reason and tend to stray away from overly yellow subjects, could be a good excuse to face up to that challenge though.

Any essential AM I'd need, looking at a few builds here and the IP looks too good to be true for stock kit stuff and such an old kit?

What about decal sheets, hopefully some good choices still available and not out of production.

Enjoying this thread :)