F4U-1 Birdcage tamiya

I really like the weathering you did on your Corsair, Pascal.

Also, i like the IFF antennas you added from the stabs to the fuselage sides. I am sure that was not easy, and it probably made the model a lot more difficult to handle. I see a lot of heavily weathered -1 Birdcages and overall i think i like the balance of the weathering treatment the best on this one.

Doing an early, heavily-weathered F4U-1, going from only black and white imagery is an inexact science. You get the best information you can, but its still subject to different interpretations. I know of one modeler who thinks the "Marines Dream" nose art was salvaged from another Corsair and wound up on 576. Certainly plausible, but who knows for sure??

Cheers,

david

Hi  David nice  to find you here, Thank you for your comment and compliment , For the IFF antenna it is not too difficult needs to make a very quiet day !, yes to trea needs to be very careful , I make that has the end before putting in the front window.. For photos black and white you are right it is always difficult we interpret, I try to get closer to the truth.........

bye Pascal 

The nose art moved from 576 to Wramblin Wreck, I know of only one picture confirming this.

Hi Scooby 

Yes right the pin-up moved  on 386 , I have another birdcage tamiya 1/32 scale  in my stash , if I find not the set resin to make F4U-2, I make 386 the continuity with 576 in the front window..

thank you Danny 

(I work which has the acrylic gunze and tamiya)

You can use H42 gunze which is the blue grey , But I dont like  I find her too much.... I dont know  but not great ....

and for bottom gunze H51 light gull grey 

I leave on intermediate blue H56 gunze, with a first fine basic layer  ( I never make a pre-shading in black )

clopic10.jpg

Then I add directly in the airbrush a drop of navy blue gunze H54 for darkened certain panels lines , 

Then I cleared up the centers of panels , (directly in the airbrush again) the blue grey with light gull grey H51 to use for the bottom ,

And still darkened, and even more cleared up, several times to have several tone of blue grey I force on the mounted parts very cleared up, and for finish H 56 diluting has 90%pour to flood the whole 

clopic11.jpg

rundii13.jpg

And now decals and the real work of weathering begins, with diverse wash ,panel liner and varnish,  the tone of the camouflage it modifies and still changes

patine10.jpg

patine11.jpg

patine12.jpg

gooooo10.jpg

Photo montage , has to leave of one truth photo replaced by the model on Photoshop

12047111.jpg

(I am sorry for my bad English)

Tank's very much Pascal for this very clear and very interesting explanation. This technique is something to keep in mind, thank's mate :speak_cool:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Greetz

Danny

Hello

You welcome bro !

I have build one second F4U Tamiya, I put some pics soon as I can ..

(I have another birdcage 1/32 Tamiya in my stash ^^ )

Cheers

Edited by pascal JMW

• 3 months later...

WOW!! This is one very nice looking Corsair, really like your weathering but I really like your choice of markings.

IMHO Marines Dream has been overdone but that's just me, but adding that sharks mouth on one side of the cowling really sets this one apart. Extremely nice build and very inspirational.

Reuben

WOW!! This is one very nice looking Corsair, really like your weathering but I really like your choice of markings.

IMHO Marines Dream has been overdone but that's just me, but adding that sharks mouth on one side of the cowling really sets this one apart. Extremely nice build and very inspirational.

Reuben

thank you very much Reuben  !!

( All not all right on the existence of the shark  mouth ..; but it is my interpretation....)

What a fantastic example!! The finish is superior scale effect. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

thank you Rod !

( I have another birdcage tamiya 1/32 in my stash ^^ )