1/32 Hurricane wheel size

quang

Hello all,

I'm currently building the 1/32 Hurricane Mk IIc from FLY Models and will need your help concerning the resin wheels provided with the kit.

While by no means an Hurricane expert, they look a little odd to me, especially the wheel centre which is tiny compared to the Pacific Coast Models Hurricane Mk I wheels. Also the FLY diameter ( 21,2 mm) is larger than the PCM (20,0 mm).

Are the FLY offerings correct or should I look elsewhere for more accurate parts? Please let me know what you think.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers,

Quang

CAA4FFDD-2377-4F27-8DD0-0A99F3B4A029.jpg

Doesn't explain it, but I think the link tells you what the diameter should be: 10 inches, or 0.3125in/8.17mm in 1/32nd scale. What do the Fly wheels measure?

And the width of the tire should be 1/4"/6.35mm

Doesn't explain it, but I think the link tells you what the diameter should be: 10 inches, or 0.3125in/8.17mm in 1/32nd scale. What do the Fly wheels measure?

And the width of the tire should be 1/4"/6.35mm

Hello Ray,

The diameter of the FLY wheel is 21,20mm (quoted measure of the link: 8,17mm ). Thickness of the FLY tire : 6,50mm (quoted measure: 6,35mm).

Anyhow, there's something fishy with the measures on the link: 8,17mm x 6,50mm  :doh:

As far as I understand, the hub width diameter is 10 or 10.25 inches (two hub rim types), and the wheel diameter 25.4 inches/8 inch width at 35 psi, with a max of 26.0 inches/8.01 inch width at 45 psi. (Edgar Brooks notes ref 4 spoke wheel AH10019 - Hurricane II manual also fitted to Spitfires from 1944)

What the 16 refers to in the illustration I'm not sure. And I believe a lot of wheel swapping with block tread Spitfire wheels still goes on in the warbird community.

Hurricane%20tyres_zpst1wrjdqs.jpg

Edited by Chek

Hello Ray,

The diameter of the FLY wheel is 21,20mm (quoted measure of the link: 8,17mm ). Thickness of the FLY tire : 6,50mm (quoted measure: 6,35mm).

Anyhow, there's something fishy with the measures on the link: 8,17mm x 6,50mm  :doh:

I am guessing the 21.20mm measurement is the outer dimension of the tire? The metal wheel rim/hub should be 8.17mm. 

Hello Ray,

Outer dimension of the tire : 21.20mm. Metal hub diameter: 9.3mm (and I thought it was too small!).

In fact they tried to reproduce the wheel on the left picture of chek's post albeit a tad oversized.

Thank you gents, for your input. 

Regards,

Quang

It'll likely look much better once the hub is painted Q.

The measurements may be a bit fluid, as they may well refer to tyre bead diameter, and the hub would overlap that slightly - just as the wire reinforced bead on a car tyre has to be levered over the hub.

(Why are these things never straightforward and explicit. Don't they realise what modellers have to do?).