1/32 Ventura

petrov27

Jack what is it that you got stuck on? Perhaps the collective knowledge of LSP might assist you in getting past the problem? I'd love to see a P2V in 1/32-   :thumbsup:

Hi Lee, ofcourse this has merit, all that knowledge LSP is having, but actually it is the handicap of not (yet) having a vacform machine capable of doing relatively large fuselage parts, i'm working on that in our wood workshop, but i experimented with balsa wood internal structures like i did with the Grumman Mohawk model, which was smaller ofcourse and easier to use the "heat smash" system, but using it on a model like the Lockheed Neptune would probably be  not that accurate to align, unless the balsa core would be "perfect".

And to make it a bit easier i decided to have a go at the solid nose version, which was also used by some dutch naval squadrons.

Anyhow, i'm still fidgeting with the concept, but eventually i'll manage.

come to think of it, you yourself would have more experience tackling this project, wouldn't you think?

Jack.

Hi Lee, ofcourse this has merit, all that knowledge LSP is having, but actually it is the handicap of not (yet) having a vacform machine capable of doing relatively large fuselage parts, i'm working on that in our wood workshop, but i experimented with balsa wood internal structures like i did with the Grumman Mohawk model, which was smaller ofcourse and easier to use the "heat smash" system, but using it on a model like the Lockheed Neptune would probably be  not that accurate to align, unless the balsa core would be "perfect".

And to make it a bit easier i decided to have a go at the solid nose version, which was also used by some dutch naval squadrons.

Anyhow, i'm still fidgeting with the concept, but eventually i'll manage.

come to think of it, you yourself would have more experience tackling this project, wouldn't you think?

Jack.

Would balsa hold up to the stress? There are different grades of balsa, Some are very hard and others are almost mushy. 

Would balsa hold up to the stress? There are different grades of balsa, Some are very hard and others are almost mushy. 

Stephen, i see your concern, and it might be so, and up to now i only could get my hands on "regular" balsa, which was sufficient to do a Mohawk in 1/32, i didn't even know there were different grades in it, thanks for noticing.

J.

Jack

One thing to consider is to build the fuselage "plank on frame" style with plastic, much like wooden ship models.

Thats what I did a few years ago when I scratch built a Westland Whirlwind back in 2005. You can see it here in "In the Works"   http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=6996&hl=whirlwind .  I didn't post any pics of the fuselage in progress, but it was pretty simple.

I built up 2 1/2 fuselages using strip styrene formers over 1/2 bulkheads cemented over drawings of each side. Smothered it with liquid glue, let dry for a few days, then sanded to profile.

Of course this wont allow you to make copies, its a one off.

Dave/Ironman1945

Dave/Ironman1945

Dave, thanks for your input, i might start using this method, though unfamiliar with it.

Had a conversation with Lee White on the same subject, and seeing this method being used quite often to build up a fuselage and having good results is ofcourse an option.

Jack.