Bitten by a Mosquito!

Wolf Buddee

A bit more work done on the Mossie. These pics show the upper walls to the engine bays including the control rods for the flaps and (I believe) ailerons. The control rods have linkage arms moulded on but unfortunately no indication of how the actuator arms attach to them. Does anyone have any pics of this area? None of my research material shows this area at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Just like Ron said, a kit within a kit, within a kit!

Cheers,

Wolf

Mossie-linkage-1_zpsqmsumcrj.jpg

Mossie-linkages-2_zpsnmlrlscx.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Hi Wolf,

just fantastic progress! I have spent hours and hours looking for good picture material and these are the best I could find. I'm not entirely sure but I think these rods are connecting to the engine rather than the flaps. Otherwise they should appear inside the wheel well. I'm still looking for information what they are exactly for. No experts around?  :frantic:

cheers

Chris

engcomp_front_zpskvoevl41.jpg

engcont-500x347_zpsmk1jmqxc.jpg

AECZ0001007e_zpsevdvdla7.jpg

Hi Wolf,

The middle cross shaft (with damper spring) connects to the engine throttle linkage and the other cross shaft connects to the propeller pitch control. Of the pictures posted by Chris the first three appear to be two stage merlin,B35? The bomb/cannon bay picture is FB26. Wing flaps operated via hydraulic ram as per Chris's posted illustration. Aileron control cables run along the rear wing spar. They are drawn in the illustration, two lines passing left to right across the top of the wing flap ram. In the FB26 bomb/cannon bay picture you can see the aileron control cables running front to rear along the left hand side to the pulley (top left corner of picture) where they change direction on their way to the next set of pulleys at the rear of the wing etc.

Joe

Hi Wolf, I did a bit more research work regarding to your question. Have added a series of pics in my thread showing the shafts and connections. 

cheers

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer

Hi Wolf ,

your work on the small details of the Mossie is unbelievable and brings modeling to a new level far away from what I can handle.

It is pure inspiration to follow your work and I wish I had the talent and patience for doing so.

With high respect ,

Peter

Hi Wolf, I did a bit more research work regarding to your question. Have added a series of pics in my thread showing the shafts and connections. 

cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris! Those photos are fantastic.

Out of curiosity, which Merlin engine did you base your coolant pipes and ignition harness configuration on?

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf ,

your work on the small details of the Mossie is unbelievable and brings modeling to a new level far away from what I can handle.

It is pure inspiration to follow your work and I wish I had the talent and patience for doing so.

With high respect ,

Peter

Thank-you Peter, very kind words. Judging from the photos you've posted of your Wingnut Wings builds I'd have to say you have a lot more talent and patience than you're wanting to admit to. Your work is brilliant as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers,

Wolf

Heya Wolf

Sorry, I am a little late to the party as usual right now. I should be able to answer those questions you raise. I will have a look at exactly where you are at, but bare with me I have 1000's of drawings to go through.....

Stunning work as always.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Chris! Those photos are fantastic.

Out of curiosity, which Merlin engine did you base your coolant pipes and ignition harness configuration on?

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

I used Max Otten's Merlin 23 gallery for the engine including the ignition harness. The coolant pipes are a different story. Unfortunately my photos from the Mosquito Museum aren't telling too much here. The upper part of my construction is mainly leaning on pics of KA114 (FB VI) and HJ711 (NF II) I found on the web. Additionally I used some drawings of the radiator unit and this only B Mk IV top view shot I could find online, I'm sure you already know it.

cheers

Chris

bIV_top_zpskjx6bqon.jpg

Thanks Chris. No I haven't seen that photo before.

I was wondering about the ignition harness and coolant pipe layout because the pics in the Merlin 23 walk around show a different configuration. I have to figure out whether I'm going to use the same configuration as I did on my Spitfire Merlin or go as you've done. I'll try and add a pic of my Spitfire Merlin to this post from my main computer. I don't seem to be able to do so using my i-pad. I'll be back in a minute.............

..........Ok, I'm back. Here's a photo of my Merlin in my Spitfire and the configuration I used for the coolant pipes as they connect to the Glycol Tank and how I did the ignition harness. More research to do, that's for sure, but that's part of the fun with these builds sin't it?  :frantic:

Merlin-15.jpg

Cheers,
Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee