My first WnW - Albatros D.Va

ChrisK89

A few weeks ago my father gave me a WnW Albatros D.Va kit and said "you are always building WW2 ****... you know my birthday is on 23.12. so you have now nearly 3 month to build me this. Do it!" (not literally but you all know this was the meaning)

So yes, here starts the work. I'm one who wants his models to be "perfect" so i had to buy a lot of AM stuff for it.

We have here:

-HGW Detail Set

-HGW Wood Decals

-Gaspatchmodel turnbuckles and anchorpoints

-Taurusmodel stuff for the Engine

-Master Spandau LMG

IMAG0338.jpg

I never thought Wingnut kits had so many pin marks to deal with :hmmm:

IMAG0340.jpg

And here is the point where i have to ask some questions:

1. There is a rigging/controlline shematic included for the cockpit but where do these lines go? Do i have to drill small holes into the sides/cockpit backplate?

2. How do you use Tamiya paints with a brush?  There are so many small details in the cockpit etc. which need to be painted with XF-76 and i could never achieve good results brushing Tamiya till now.

cheers Chris

1. There is a rigging/controlline shematic included for the cockpit but where do these lines go? Do i have to drill small holes into the sides/cockpit backplate?

2. How do you use Tamiya paints with a brush?  There are so many small details in the cockpit etc. which need to be painted with XF-76 and i could never achieve good results brushing Tamiya till now.

cheers Chris

1. Just sort it out to have something looking like the drawing. It's not too difficult, but the rigging wires are very small and usually ask of a small hole to make easier to glue them. So just anticipate and drill the small hole before assembly. Then you can glue the other end of the wire in an hidden area (under the seat, in the fuselage aft the rear bulkhead, etc...)

2. Use a small pencil (00 to 0000) and thin the paint with water. You can use small bottle caps as a recipient for exemple. You better do 2,3 or 4 thin coats of thinned paint (wich covers less, of course, but dries faster, too) than a single coat of thick paint, which will looks messy.

Regarding the control cables inside the cockpit, here is what i did on mine :

The depth control cables were glued in a small hole on the pully on the control column side, and under the seat on the other side :

20140518_024308_zps2cdc0e13.jpg

20140518_024436_zpsa76ec211.jpg

The rudder control cables are glued in small holes under the pedals bracket, and under the floor on the other side if i remember correctly (maybe small holes in the bulkhead) :

20140521_010227_zps23434d1e.jpg

And the more tricky control cables in the D.IVa, the ailerons ones. For these ones, i had to drill some holes from the inside to the outside in the lower wings slots. Then i glued the wire on the pulley, make the tricky cable arrangement, and thread the wires in the holes to the outside, with a good lenght outside and letting them slack at the moment. And once the fuselage was glued, i made them straight and glue them from the outside with a drop of CA.

20140521_010521_zpsb26317a3.jpg

Edited by Zero77

It's my first time repliclating woodgrain and i think it turned out acceptable.

IMAG0343.jpg

I've found a website where you can see all the details of a real Albatros and that helped me alot to make it as real as possible. *click me*

There you can see the turnbuckle for the gearlegs are inside the cockpit and this is my attempt.

IMAG0347.jpg

And here is the rest of the cockpit so far

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Now the tricky part is coming.. gluing the aileron wiring into the closed cockpit :mental:   Any tips?

Hope you like it so far

cheers Chris

• 3 weeks later...

A month ago i started my first WnW model and now its time to show the progress.... i decided to use oil paints to imitate the woodgrain instead of using the decals and that is slowing the progress enormously! You know.. masking the panels, painting the woodgrain and let it dry for 4-5 days  :mellow: 

But in the meantime i completed the engine and prepared all parts i need for this model.

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

I hope i can complete the woodgrain in a week or two.

cheers Chris

• 1 month later...

Had been a long time since my last update...

I wasn't able to made it for my fathers birthday but it's finaly finished.

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

Conclusion: Wingnut Wings models are very nice but somehow the connection of upper and lower wing was... strange. There was nearly a 2-3cm gap which i had to close with bending the lower wings into position (hope it wont break in the future)