Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger New Pics 6/9/15

LSP_Paul

So, for those of you who didn't know, I model all kinds of things, and one of my favorite things to model are WWII AFV's.

I had the chance a while back to gather together what I thought would be the ultimate King Tiger accessories as well as Tamiya's King Tiger and then promptly went back into my large scale aircraft building phase and forgot about it for a while.  I am currently building two resin aircraft in the Korean War Group Build here on LSP, but I needed a break before I hit absolute burn out. When I need a break I break out a tank, and so, here we are. 

Here is a picture of what I started with and the beginning stages of construction.

Tamiya King Tiger

Aber Photo Etch for fenders front and rear as well as side and basic set that has all of the various detail parts for the main hull and turret.

Armorscale Turned barrel and break as well as their replacement mantlet.

Model point provided new turned barrels for the bow machine gun.

Fruil Tracks

post-3619-0-35685000-1433126303_thumb.jpg

The vehicle I am modeling is a late production KT, and at this stage a lot of the smaller Aber details are not installed so they don't get inadvertently removed while I'm working on paint.

the first thing I do prior to to much construction is to texture the entire tank to add that extra bit of realism. For this, I use Mr. Surfacer 500 tapped on with an old brush until it builds up random texture. Any high spots get knocked  down with some fine sand paper and  then you have a really nice textured base coat to work from.

Here are a couple of pics highlighting the texturing in progress.

post-3619-0-59705200-1433126506_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-32416500-1433126553_thumb.jpg

Once that was all done, I started on the incredibly detailed barrel and brake. 

post-3619-0-00349500-1433126724_thumb.jpg

In short order I had it assembled test fit and ready to prime, just an amazing little gem this thing turned out to be.

post-3619-0-82599100-1433126818_thumb.jpg

I also added all the various welds with Milliput fine white putty.

OK so, fast forward to a couple of days after that, and here are some parts that are a combination of Aber, Tamiya,  my punch and die set and some NBW castings.

post-3619-0-58897600-1433126982_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-71599200-1433127019_thumb.jpg

More next page

Paul

So, While all that was being done I began to plan my camo pattern. As I mentioned in the first post, I have purposefully left off a lot of the smaller details during painting so they wouldn't get pulled off or lost. The paint process was achieved by using Tamiya tape, and Silly Putty. All colors are custom tweaked for scale effect and consist of Tamiya Olive Green, Red Brown, and Dark Yellow.

For those who don't know, German late war ambush style camo was a very complex blend of colors and shapes and tiny spots and was a hard edged pattern. I am at the stage now where I have to put on the spots, then apply the missing details then weather. I thought you might enjoy seeing what it looks like at this point, so here are a few more pics.

post-3619-0-60094600-1433128143_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-10685500-1433127371_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-02572200-1433127405_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-75068900-1433127436_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-36690300-1433127463_thumb.jpg

Natural Light

post-3619-0-07593800-1433127514_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-26162700-1433127549_thumb.jpg

OK so that's where I am today. the next step is to add the spots, then begin to add the detail parts and the fist stages of weathering.

Thanks for looking in and if you have any questions of comments please feel free  :)

Paul

Guest Clunkmeister

Looks good. It'd look even better of it was a Leopard 2A6M (Can). :rofl: to kick some M1A1 a$$, don't you know.

Looks good. It'd look even better of it was a Leopard 2A6M (Can). :rofl: to kick some M1A1 a$$, don't you know.

You need to quit smoking that stuff man.

Glad ya like it so far. Now If I can just find somebody to trade me some large scale planes for a 1/16th Trumpeter King Tiger, I'd be truly happy.

Paul

Guest Clunkmeister

I have a KT as well. I might just have to put on my stupidity hat and build one or two...

Plate texture looks great, very nice. Deck screens and barrel assembly look great too. I have one of these in my stash, waiting for "the day".

Thanks Kev. So many things we can do with Mr. Surfacer  :)  Ya gotta dig yours out soon. Maybe after your large scale Flack gun.

Paul 

Thanks Kev. So many things we can do with Mr. Surfacer  :)  Ya gotta dig yours out soon. Maybe after your large scale Flack gun.

Paul 

Right, assuming I ever get to the end of the project, though I'm determined to do so.

Hi Paul,

I stumbled across this thread by accident. I'm glad I found it, you are doing a great job! More please.

Don

Thanks Don, glad you are enjoying it so far.  :)  I'll post some pics when I get the spots on prior to detailing..

All the best,

Paul