1/32 F15C Eagle (Tamiya + extras) ***** FINISHED *****

Jer

Being a schoolhouse jet, your options for ordnance are limited.  I've shot this jet a few times at Klamath Falls, and every time I've been up there, the standard load on the jets is a single centerline tank, a captive AIM-9X, an ACMI pod, and a single captive AIM-120.  Sometimes a pair of 120s are carried and it isn't uncommon to fly without any external fuel tanks.

The MPCD camera will be present, as it is on any modern-day Eagle.  The HUD camera will be the type used by the ANG, and the map case will house the AVTR tapes, rather than just an empty basin for storage.

Jake

Cheers Jake for taking the time to advise in great detail. Probably should have asked you guys before purchasing!

I struggled to find any other decals than these, there really isn't any other choices as far as I could see (this is when I get told by lots of people of the hundreds of decals out there!).

The kit decals depict the 78-0544 from the 44th FS or 78-0538 from the 18th or 80-053 from the 3rd but I expect these are from some years ago now as they're with new units and so probably wouldn't correct either.

Therefore I guess I'll have to express a bit of artistic licence and load as planned unless there's any other suggestions?

Apologies to the purists amongst you!

Please dont use that preprinted IP when you have such beautiful cockpit parts...

No worries Kaiyudsai I had already decided I'm going to use the aires PE and paint it myself.

......once I've finished polishing the canopy to remove that central seam I'll start on it. Thanks for popping in.

Jer

Sadly, the decal market for 1/32 Eagle builders is very sparse.  I keep thinking I'd like to release some, but my 1/48 Eagle sheet isn't a very good seller.  

If you can find a copy of The Modern Eagle Guide, it will show you the pics of the cockpit items I mentioned, with captions and explanations of the each of various combinations.

Jake

Sadly, the decal market for 1/32 Eagle builders is very sparse.  I keep thinking I'd like to release some, but my 1/48 Eagle sheet isn't a very good seller.  

If you can find a copy of The Modern Eagle Guide, it will show you the pics of the cockpit items I mentioned, with captions and explanations of the each of various combinations.

Jake

Cheers Jake. Good skills on creating your own decals, would be interested to see what you've done in 1/48.

The Modern Eagle Guide (Jake Melampy.........thats not you is it!?!? :-) ) is the one book i can't get my hands on!!! I have various other books but this one is the Eagle bible apparently. Love to see a copy as i've seen extracts on the net and it looks really good. My books are from the 80's (mainly show planes flying or static with minimal detail photos) but i have got a Haynes Manual copy of the Eagle which is quite detailed but it does have more about the E than anything else.

With my lack of knowledge and references not that easy to find via Web or Books i'm struggling really to confirm where the map case is situated, probably sounds a bit daft. I think it the square area (right side console) where the oxygen pipe is and has a seems to have a canvas cover on it. I'm probably wrong.....i have diagrams on that area but nothings mentioned about it being a map box, just something about a magnetic compass.

The HUD camera is already represented on the Aries cockpit coaming, i wonder what the differences are with an ANG version. It is really small so i'll probably leave it as is, unless there's a fundamental difference. Can't imagine it'll be bigger or the pilot won't be able to see!!

Wasn't the  "MPCD camera" part of the MSIP upgrade? i.e. the new expanded weapons control...........if so the that screen is depicted on the Aries PE instrument panel (PE on the leftside of photo). I don't understand the camera reference (sorry lack of technical knowledge again). If i'm wrong tell me this located and i look into it.

One thing about this build so far is i'm learning an awful lot about the F-15 from you guys and i greatly appreciate you giving me the time to explain stuff. Mentioned this to the Mrs last night who gave me the "please don't talk to me about model planes" expression!

Cheers Jake again for your help.

Jer

16142383746_40bb029f53_z.jpg

Any particular sheet your looking for? I'm starting to pare down some stuff, I think I saw a sheet or two of Eagle sheets and I won't be doing another.

Don

Hi Don, I think I'm probably ok as I've spent a small fortune on this kit already! Unless what you've got is for more current planes which would allow me to configure things to what I've suggested.

Thanks for the consideration.

Jer

79 076 is still here, at least it was the last time I was at the base. They a 'bit' more strict than they used to be when we flew F-4s.

Maybe I can get some better shots for you.

Mike

Hi Mike, Always happy to receive some more pictures but not if you'll get into trouble!!

Cheers jer

Edited by Jer

I'm not Jake, but just so you're not left hanging, he is. Jake Melampy, that is.

Kev

...........read that and my monitors at work just got sprayed by coffee!!

Cheers for the heads up Kev, i'll look forward to Mr Melampy's reply (don't feel comfortable calling him Jake now)

Cheers

Jer

(merely a humble computer programmer)

(don't feel comfortable calling him Jake now)

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!  Dude, I'm nobody special.  

The MPCD was part of the MSIP upgrade, but the camera is a bit more modern.  It simply records the display for later use, ie debrief.  It's a tiny little post camera mounted to the left sidewall.  You're right about the map case being on the right side of the cockpit, about where the pilot's right elbow would be.  It's covered by a canvas cover, but the ANG chose to relocate the AVTR (Airborne Video Tape Recorder) in the map case for ease of maintenance.  The Guard also modified the HUD camera to alleviate some of the older style's problems, and it looks a lot like the original HUD camera that came on the jets when they were delivered.  I think the Aires set depicts a factory-fresh cockpit.  The active-duty guys, meanwhile, introduced a modified camera base, which does look quite a bit different than the original base.  It's smaller and located in a different location.

The bad news is that the USAF introduced a TCTO ordering all surviving Eagles to adopt a single system, and the ANG style was removed and the active-duty style reinstalled.  To be strictly accurate, you'll want the newer style.

Jake

Hi Don, I think I'm probably ok as I've spent a small fortune on this kit already! Unless what you've got is for more current planes which would allow me to configure things to what I've suggested.

Thanks for the consideration.

Jer

Had a look at my stash, i have Afterburner Aggressor decals which probably aren't what you need, and i have a Two Bobs Eglin Eagle sheet that might be for an earlier timeframe than wht you need. The Eagle gurus could better inform you. HTH

Don

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!! Dude, I'm nobody special.

The MPCD was part of the MSIP upgrade, but the camera is a bit more modern. It simply records the display for later use, ie debrief. It's a tiny little post camera mounted to the left sidewall. You're right about the map case being on the right side of the cockpit, about where the pilot's right elbow would be. It's covered by a canvas cover, but the ANG chose to relocate the AVTR (Airborne Video Tape Recorder) in the map case for ease of maintenance. The Guard also modified the HUD camera to alleviate some of the older style's problems, and it looks a lot like the original HUD camera that came on the jets when they were delivered. I think the Aires set depicts a factory-fresh cockpit. The active-duty guys, meanwhile, introduced a modified camera base, which does look quite a bit different than the original base. It's smaller and located in a different location.

The bad news is that the USAF introduced a TCTO ordering all surviving Eagles to adopt a single system, and the ANG style was removed and the active-duty style reinstalled. To be strictly accurate, you'll want the newer style.

Jake

Hi Jake, can't believe I was telling YOU your book is the "bible" what a muppet I am!

You should rerelease it as I can't find a copy any where, not even secondhand!

Anyway, thanks for the great info I'll add the small camera and look into the HUD camera as well, the Wolfpack front coaming has a box thing on the starboard side of the HUD so I wonder if that's the active duty style you're referring to, I'll scratch build a copy that should that be the case........if I had the Modern Eagle Guide book I'd had this info to hand (see, that's a copy already sold!)

Cheers

Jer

Edited by Jer