Horten 229: Finished!

Uncarina

Bill, thanks, I saw the corrections on the website in advance and thought it was pretty cool that these were posted, evidence of how this company works hard to get the best building experience out of these kits. I haven't committed to the IP yet, but I might do a hybrid by adding details to the back of the clear version.

Happy New Year! Tom

I really like what you are doing with this kit Tom... very nice work indeed!! I hope you weren't too hard on your dog??

I have just ordered this kit from Lucky Model, hope it arrives soon!! I would like to ask, is this kit a fun build? I am currently working on the ZM Ta152 and am not really enjoying it at all. I hope things have improved for this one?

Nige,

Happy New Year! She's a pup, and just wanted to get out. Not her fault! I think you will love this build. I haven't built your TA-152 kit, but this is both easier and more enjoyable than the Skyraider I did build. No silver or black plastic, and this kit was designed by modelers for modelers! It definitely goes together more easily than it looks, and that fuselage frame is more sturdy than it looks. Thanks for checking in!

Cheers, Tom

Iain, thanks! I love using oils to simulate wood, and one of these days I will get into another WNW build that capitalizes on this. Another update: I assembled, painted, and added the landing gear today. Still have to add a wash and decals. The nose wheel is supposed to be trapped between the nosegear halves, making it difficult to paint and mask. An easier solution: I drilled out the pegs and once everything was assembled and painted I inserted the nose wheel, and secured with a rod.

Happy New Year!  Tom

IMG_0752_zpsdc2dd072.jpg

IMG_0754_zps66e279d2.jpg

IMG_0755_zpse21797df.jpg

IMG_0756_zps6643b095.jpg

IMG_0760_zps2aada718.jpg

Spent the last few days preparing, painting, weathering, and assembling the cockpit. It went together smoothly except for the rudder pedal assembly, which did not want to insert into the side frames. I enlarged the holes with a drill to get it to work. For the dual controls on the port side frame (throttle and?), photos of the prototype show these to be in halves, yet Zoukei Mura molded them together as one piece. I cut a notch to separate them with a razor saw, and scribed a groove to suggest they moved independently. I used the seat with molded belts (nobody does it better than Z-M) and went the easy way with the instrument panel: I applied the decal to the front face, then baby-sat it for about 20 minutes with Solvaset and a brush to get the decal to conform.

Cheers, Tom

IMG_0767_zpseb962173.jpg

IMG_0769_zps3107b2fb.jpg

IMG_0770_zps902b2379.jpg

IMG_0772_zps85c82ae8.jpg

IMG_0774_zps49a9baa9.jpg

IMG_0775_zpsfbc4b415.jpg

Edited by Uncarina