HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

Looks great --- a little color goes a long way for that "splash of color!"

What's "rough" about the rudder rib tapes? They look fine from where I'm sitting.

Looking back through the WIP photos, the end product fuselage shows the true labor of love you've built ... but a lot of labor none the less!

Terry

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Craig, that looks absolutely fantastic! Congrats on getting to the paint stage. And welcome to the world of SMS paints! They're my first call paints now.

Kev

Thanks Kev! Yes agreed! I normally hate airbrushing as I've never been able to get the paint on smooth, but these are absolutely amazing!

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Wow. It looks incredible. I think your choice of scheme is great - and most people wouldn’t know the difference between a B and a C anyway!

That must have done wonders for the mojo too - there’s nothing better than splashing some paint. 

Tom

Thanks Tom! Haha, very true :) It's certainly nice to see some colour on it after all this time.

6 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Looks great --- a little color goes a long way for that "splash of color!"

What's "rough" about the rudder rib tapes? They look fine from where I'm sitting.

Looking back through the WIP photos, the end product fuselage shows the true labor of love you've built ... but a lot of labor none the less!

Terry

Thanks Terry! The tapes came out pretty well, but the decal strips I used were terrible...... they just kept fracturing, so they're a little "fuzzy" on some of the strips. In the end they came out pretty well though. I think I doused them in about 5 coats of Tamiya clear to make sure they weren't going to lift :). I was thinking of doing a hint of shadow as well, but from the photos we've seen they didn't tend to have much depth between the ribs and the fabric anyway.

Yep, sure is great to see some colour on it. I'm really liking the yellow strip on the side too! 

Craig

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

What a stunning build Craig.  Absolutely love the paint work on it. Can't wait to see what you can do next with it.

Matt 

Thanks Matt! There's a few directions to go at the moment. It'd be really nice to get the rest of the fuselage markings done, but I also need to get the nosecone on too. Then there's a whole heap of skinning patiently waiting for me on the wings ;) 

34 minutes ago, brahman104 said:

Thanks mate! Yeah I can say that it seems to work from my experience, hopefully it'll do the same for you :) 

You've definitely inspired me to have a crack at a NMF build, and I had wondered about how well laquers would hold onto metal. Did you scuff up the metal before priming?