HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

Form and function ... not that easy to pull off in modeling!

Jez, what's next --- winding your own tiny operating retraction motor!

Years ago (80's), there was a guy who fabricated a fully accurate, operating F4F Wildcat landing gear in 1/72! I have to wonder if that was you!!!

Terry

20 hours ago, JayW said:

Craig - nice mechanism, nice kinematics!!!  It is so hard to get that right with the scale issues we have.  Did you lay that out?

Thanks Jay! This build is actually a study in creating problems and then trying to fix them! Not sure what you mean by "laying it out?" If you mean did I use precision, calculation and measurements, well...... you know the answer to that...... :whistle:

6 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Form and function ... not that easy to pull off in modeling!

Jez, what's next --- winding your own tiny operating retraction motor!

Years ago (80's), there was a guy who fabricated a fully accurate, operating F4F Wildcat landing gear in 1/72! I have to wonder if that was you!!!

Terry

Hahaha, right now Terry I'll just be happy if I can convincingly cover up my multitude of hacking into the bomb bay! :)  Ah yes I remember seeing that, wasn't it spectacular?

I'd love to be able to be 1% of that good, still trying to find ways of being accurate at 1/32, let alone 1/72!

• 1 month later...

Small update. Still chipping away slowly at the bomb bay mechanism. It's been a real challenge to make this work, and I've still got a long way to go to dress everything back up to the way it was, but at least it's functioning now!

First up was to find somewhere to put the magnets which hold the doors shut. They still need to be hidden with some kind of creative looking bracket, but you can see them in the middle of the centre bomb racks.... You don't realise how how you take using tweezers for granted until you use magnets and realise they stick to them a lot more than where you want them to go! For such a simple task, this took a lot of effort to fix them in place!

21/6

I then rebuilt the door rib detail with a steel strip along the inboard face to give the magnets something to cling to, other than my tweezers....... :ninja:

21/6

Man there is some horrible ejector pin marks to try and eliminate..... still working on those!

And success!!!! Both doors remain closed, but are easy enough to pop open again. Not sure how much heavier they'll get once they're skinned and painted, so I may need another set of magnets, but for now they work :)

21/6

It's hard to describe the amount of effort it took to make the above photo possible!

The actuators have been soaking in the burnishing solution. While burnishing the brass solved one problem with not having to paint them, it presented another with the shaft surface becoming quite rough, making the movement though the actuators not as smooth as I would have liked, but it can be done with care. I'll still call that a win for its complexity! :)

21/6

I'll still have to do some painting of them, but it least the fluid covered most of the parts. As you can see then doors and hinge areas still need a lot of work to make them presentable, but the fact that the bomb doors can now be positioned either open or closed as required is a huge step forward! Hopefully I'll have these all sorted soon and I can get onto running some more details in the bay, such as the hydraulic system and some electrical "shields." 

That's all for now team, but rest assured there's always something happening!

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 21/6 open (and close) sesame!

Craig,

Your operating bomb bay doors are really coming along nicely. The magnets blend in pretty good and aren't obtrusive. Just curious though, do they have square ones?. They'd look like part of the "truss-work" or a "electrical junction box"

You plan on painting the bomb bay door ribs and adding metal squares in the open spaces or just painting the interior?

You're running out of room to work in there --- but you've captured the look of it not being as "open" as it might appear.

Terry